Door casing router bit. Driving me nuts.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparkeyjames
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Redford MI.
    • Craftsman 21829

Door casing router bit. Driving me nuts.

My father has a specific need for a router bit to use on a water proof material to produce door casing. The door casing is aprox 1/2-9/16" high on the outer edge with a 1/8" rounded upper edge. Then it has a gradual convex curve down to aprox 3/32-1/8 maybe even 1/16 straight inner edge. It is 2 1/4 from outside edge to inside edge. I'll see if I can get a pic of the profile. I cannot for the life of me find this profile in a router bit anywhere. You can buy the pre-fabed wood products all day long at HD and other suppliers with this profile but finding the bit is almost it seems impossible.
    Last edited by sparkeyjames; 01-17-2013, 07:51 PM.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

That clamshell style of casing is usually done in a moulder. If the face can have some flat, you could cut the trim on an angle for the thick to thin dimension. Then use two different round over bits (radius) for the two outer edges, and then sand.

Comment

• eezlock
      • Feb 2006
      • Charlotte,N.C.
      • BT3100

router bit driving me nuts....

I agree with cabinetman, you will probably need to use two different bits
      to cut the profile you need for this door casing. If you could find a single bit to do the job with in one pass thru the router table, it would probably be cost prohibitive and then you would need a big heavy duty router to spin that large of a bit. That is why a molding company generally makes their products with
      a special machine to do the work. eezlock

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Some blade and bit shops will make custom profiles for you; there's one near me, Ace Saw and Supply, who tells me they can make any profile I need if I bring them a sample of the moulding - you might find someone like that near you.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

2-1/8" wide is an awfully big router bit. maybe a shaper table and bit are more likely what you need.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

To be more specific, 2 1/8 moulding would require at least a 4 3/4 router bit. You have to multiply the cutting length times two plus add for the bearing. This is not practical They max out an inch or more smaller than this. So you cannot do this in one bit. Routers just turn too quickly to be using 4 3/4 inch diameter bits.

You should be able to get a shaper cutter for this. Or you could at least approximate the shape with other bits, as C'man already suggested. Another bit to consider for a multiple cut attempt would be a vertical panel raising bit. They have profiles which seem like they might be similar enough to be useful.

Two other thoughts. First, you could make a handplane to cut this profile. It is wide for a handplane too, you would probably have to buy tool steel or something from McMaster Carr or somebody and grind to shape. A simpler idea is to do multiple cuts with other bits to get close and then sand to final shape. You could make a sanding block by using body putty on a piece of existing molding. In other words, make a sanding block, put aluminum foil or something on the molding you want to duplicate, gob some body putty on the sanding block and press it over the covered molding. Use the custom sanding block to get to the final shape.

Jim

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

I may be missing the size aspect - the profile/dimension description isn't giving me a clear mental image - but there are some standard molding bits available in 2in heights here; might not be too big a stretch to have one custom made at 2.25in.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Is the casing profile we're talking about one of these? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UPo064d9LA0 http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UPo1wYd9LA0

Also - check out some of the lengths here - cutters up to 3-1/16in. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/...-_molding_bits
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 01-19-2013, 01:10 AM. Reason: add info
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Holbren
                  • Oct 2004
                  • Heathrow, FL.

What about this one? You can probably find it cheaper than Woodcraft.

http://www.woodcraft.com/product/202...style-356.aspx
                  Brian
                  Holbren, Whiteside, LRH, Ridge, Tenryu, Norton
                  "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
                  www.holbren.com

Comment

Working...