• Show
Clear All
  • ironhat
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
    • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Does this eventually loosen with use?

If you own self-tightening chuck you may be able to help me. I have a large (17") Craftsman machinest's drill press and I'm having issues holding on to the twist drill while I try to tighten the self-tightening (odd name for something that doesn't use a chuck key) chuck. I know that you are supposed to support the end of drills on scrap while you tighten. I'm use to holding the drill and turning the chuck to snug by hand and then using the key. So, getting to my question, do these chucks ever wear-in and loosen? That's it. I'm becoming more agile but wouldn't mind the chuck getting a bit easier to tighten!
    Blessings,
    Chiz
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

i think the proper parlance is "Keyless chuck"

my Sears Craftsman 19.2V C3 cordless drill has a keyless chuck, it turns and tightens easily, its not stiff or anything. I wonder if it grips hard enough though, it's easy to spin the larger bits in the chuck if the bit seizes in the workpiece - even wood... e.g. the torque the drill puts out is more than the chuck can hold. Worse, spinning the bit, the jaws put a burr on the bit shanks. The burr will rip your skin if it catches you, I have to file them off if I spin the bit, so it chucks up clean next time i use it. I don't know if this is typical. I wonder if anyone else has the same problem.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

The keyless chucks I have work relatively easy. I can just hold the bit and spin the knurled part manually. Or, I can set the bit, and just hold the chuck, and start the rotation with the switch. On removal it could release by just a quick snap with the drill not running.

Comment

• ironhat
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2004

Hmmm, mine are definitely on the stiff side. Would you lube it and what would you guys use? Kroil, PTFE lube, spray graphite, Militec?
        Blessings,
        Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by ironhat
          Hmmm, mine are definitely on the stiff side. Would you lube it and what would you guys use? Kroil, PTFE lube, spray graphite, Militec?
          I'd start with graphite.

Comment

• ironhat
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2004

Spray or powdered graphite? I assume the former. Is the chuck mounted on tapered shaft - I can look that one up. I was thinking that gravity could be used to carry the graphite further into the parts of the chuck.
            Blessings,
            Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

Spray or powdered graphite? I assume the former. Is the chuck mounted on tapered shaft - I can look that one up. I was thinking that gravity could be used to carry the graphite further into the parts of the chuck.
              I had a keyed chuck that I removed and inverted it to treat.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

somehow i missed that you had a key - I guess that's not a keyless chuck, then.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-11-2013, 08:12 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ironhat
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2004

Loring, C.man said that he once had a keyed chuck which he pulled to lubricate. I have the keyless chuck (btw,thanks for reminding me of the term. I could not retrieve it from my damaged brain. It has been like that since the surgery.) Thanks again!
                  Chiz
                  Last edited by ironhat; 01-11-2013, 08:56 PM.
                  Blessings,
                  Chiz

Comment

• cabinetman
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Loring, C.man said that he once had a key chuck which pulled to lubricate. I have the keyless chuck (btw,thanks for reminding me of the term. I could not retrieve it from my damaged brain. It has been like that since the surgery.) Thanks again!
                    Chiz
                    Yeah you're right. I guess Loring misread the post. I have both keyed and keyless. The one I removed just happened to be keyed. None of my keyless have needed maintenance.

Comment

Working...