• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Bosch Colt for xmas

my sister gave me a reconditioned Bosch VS Colt for xmas. Its the palm router and joins my other routers (Bosch 1617, Bosch 1617EVS, a old Craftsman, a Dewalt 621) so I'm a 5-router guy now?

tried it out tonight, pretty sweet. I tried some sign making. Used the MS Word with 450pt font, printed, transferred to (cedar) wood, then free-handed.
    Attached Files
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Trim routers are very handy.

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

BTW...nice work for free hand.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
        BTW...nice work for free hand.

thanks c'man.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

This might interest you.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

great. Plunge sub-base costs more than the router.

it is $25 off at CPO, ends tonight.

Is a plunge base all that necessary for a palm router? I just tilt the plunge-cutting bits in, works fine.
            ANy words of wisdom as to when its useful? I have a plunge base for my 1617's but seldom use it.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2012, 11:41 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Yea, they want a lot for that plunge base. I'd be more inclined to pick up a Dewalt trim router kit with the plunge base. From what I've heard it is better than the bosch.

Nice job on the letters too.
              Erik

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                great. Plunge sub-base costs more than the router.

it is $25 off at CPO, ends tonight.

Is a plunge base all that necessary for a palm router? I just tilt the plunge-cutting bits in, works fine.
                ANy words of wisdom as to when its useful? I have a plunge base for my 1617's but seldom use it.

Words of wisdom...me?? I don't know how wisdomy they will be, but I can relate some of my experiences. Some time in the low upper third of the last century, there weren't any plunge bases, soft start, variable speed, "electronic" (as advertised) routers. What was available were single speed...go at 'em routers.

One had to learn how to fiddle with feed rates and depth passes for large bits. As for the palm type (I call them trim) routers, they had more than their place in woodworking and cabinetmaking. When I used to do laminate kitchens, I would have to hold an eared 1½ hp router in one hand pretty much all day long trimming doors, shelves, and boxes. The trim router became a staple for laminate work as it could be a fairly comfortable one handed router.

But still after hours and hours of trimming, my hands would go numb, and I wouldn't feel it in my hand, and at times couldn't let go. But, the big picture was, that for control, they just couldn't be beat. I suggested a plunge base for you, as I have the impression that you dig accessories in general. With no plunge base, tipping in was the way to go. Have a good straightedge, and position the base to the straightedge consistently. The location of the base to straightedge could be visually maintained by other optical aids, such as the tightening wing nut on the base. Using this positioning located the bit to the same distance from the edge of the base for the entire pass. Or, a mark could be made on the base for location purposes.

I have noticed that not all bases are concentric to the bit, so to maintain the same pass distance this was necessary. Trim routers, when used for inlay work could benefit from a plunge base on a very thin theory that if tipped in, the bit may divot the depth of cut at the tip in due to the rotation axis. When used as a general clean out for the field of an inlay, if care is taken, it's not usually a problem.

Generally though, I really like trim routers. They can do more than we give them credit for. I do light profiling with them, especially when it can be done one handed. Over the years, I favored the PC 309 since they came out, and bought many of them. I still have several that are still in good condition. At worst, maybe brushes (no big deal). That Bosch you got is a great little router that you'll enjoy using.

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Loring

I have the same router for couple of years now (refurbished from Rockler) and I know that you will enjoy it. I did look at their plunge base and like you, found it too expensive for an accessory. So far I have not had a need for plunge or I used a different router.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I have used a reconditioned Colt for several years and like it a lot. I used it most recently to flush cut a face frame of 3/4 softwood. It did fine. I see no need for a plunge base, I use a PC690 for plunge cut work. Maybe if I did signs or something like that I would want the plunge base.

Jim

Comment

• steve-norrell
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2006
                      • The Great Land - Alaska
                      • BT3100-1

Lucky to have a sister that gives great gifts.

I had a Colt for a couple of years and loved it. I also thought the plunge base was too expensive so I gave the Bosch to my son and 'traded up' to one of those DeWalt kits that include a plunge base. The DeWalt also has LED lights so you get a better view of the work. The added light is nice for us more mature folks who have older eyes.

I know you will enjoy the Colt.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• EngrChrisSaw
                        Handtools only
                        • Feb 2012
                        • Craftsman 113.298240, (Would like to try the Delta T2 mod) - Craftsman 21829

I have the DeWalt (DWP611PK) version of the Colt with the plunge base. The micro adjustment for the fixed base is nice from other routers I've seen.

Comment

Working...