X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Craftsman 22400 12" Bandsaw

I've finally gotten the shop cleaned up enough that over the weekend I was able to start adjusting/aligning tools so that I can get some stuff done. I got about 1/2 way through working on the bandsaw when I had to call it quits. Anyway, I need new bearings and want to replace them all at the same time. I'm seeing where people have replaced them with ABEC 5 or 7 bearings, but no one is mentioning the dimensions. Do any of you guys have the dimensions handy? Not a big deal, I can pull one off tonight if I need to.

Also, need new blades. I was reading the old posts about this saw and saw where it was mentioned that the blades sold at Sears may be made by Olson. Anyone bought the blades from Sears, and are you happy with them? I figure I'd grab the 3 pack if they get decent reviews.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I used roller blade replacement bearings....whatever size those are. You can buy a pack of 16 for < $15 to your door.

For blades I called Suffolk Machinery. They asked about my saw, and what I cut, then made a recommendation for Timberwolf blades. Ive' been happy with them. At the time, they offered a "443" deal, where they gave me 4 blades for the price of 3....it was for new customers only. Dunno if they still have it, but you can ask.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Knottscott
      I used roller blade replacement bearings....whatever size those are. You can buy a pack of 16 for < $15 to your door.

For blades I called Suffolk Machinery. They asked about my saw, and what I cut, then made a recommendation for Timberwolf blades. Ive' been happy with them. At the time, they offered a "443" deal, where they gave me 4 blades for the price of 3....it was for new customers only. Dunno if they still have it, but you can ask.
      +1 for Timberwolf blades.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

+1 Timberwolf. Also consider Lenox Bimetal Diemaster2, and Woodslicer. All can be ordered to fit your saw. I've heard said that most wood applications will work best with 3-4 tpi in hook, skip or "vari" tooth configs.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Just got in from the shop. I pulled 2 of the top bearings and both are labeled z809. I've done a quick search and found several entries for them. I believe all 6 are the same, and will do some calling around tomorrow to see if anyone in town carries them.

Thanks for the advice on the blades. I think it was on SMC that someone bought the Sears blades and weren't very happy with them.

BTW: Rikon has the 12" saw on their site, and based on wording of the manuals and pics, the C'man was made by Rikon. Too bad Sears doesn't carry it anymore. Other than bearings, most folks seem to really like it.

Edit: Just saw that the bearings may be 608Z instead. Found out that some of the Grizzly saws also had these bearings with the same problems I've had.
          Last edited by JSUPreston; 11-28-2012, 10:51 PM. Reason: Additional info
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• jeepman71
            Established Member
            • Nov 2008

This is the bearing I recently replaced mine with.

http://www.bearingson.com/category/r...e=1&SortType=0

Comment

• JSUPreston
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • Montgomery, AL.

It's apparently a very popular size of bearing. I've called several locations in town, and they're all sold out. Looks like Academy sports has some in stock, but they are $14 plus tax, assuming they are the right size.

Jeepman, I may just order from the site you gave me and do expedited shipping. Was hoping to finish the saw maintenance soon and get back to work, but I don't want to buy the wrong think.

For future reference, the dimensions are 22mm diameter, 7mm width, and 8mm opening. I'm putting this out here to help me as well, since I know I'll forget the dimensions or model pretty quick.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

a quick bearing primer

608 is the size number for 8mm ID, 22mm OD, 7mm width bearings
                Z implies a sealing ring to keep out dust and dirt.

try http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?
                I think they'll deal with small orders on their internet and eBay sites.

at the VXB site above, search for "8x22x7"

aside from bandsaw guides, its a popular rollerblade/skateboard wheel bearing
                lots of styles and materials in that size.

as cheap as 8 for $10
                http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit8477

or this ceramic/ ball stainless race sealed one will cost $13 each.
                http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit8346

or you can buy 1000 bearings for $300.
                http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/kit8773

your choice. I'd at least get a sealed one, if the bearing race backs up the blade, consider a stainless one.

I think VXB and a bunch of other dealers has deals on eBay for this size bearing. Search for skateboard bearings. THey don't always state the size, but I think this is the one. You might check to make sure. I see sets of 8 for less than $7 w/ free ship
                http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

you will see ABEC ratings like ABEC-7. this is a tolerance rating, 1 is the loosest and 9 is the best, with tight tolerances will run smoother and have less friction. ABEC-7 is a common rating. I would guess that a bandsaw would not need super high RPM speeds (We're talking 30,000 RPM and up) nor super low friction and smoothness, ABEC7 is probably plenty fine or even overkill.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-30-2012, 05:53 PM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jeepman71
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2008

I bought skateboard bearings from a sporting goods store only to find the ones I got were only shielded on one side. They were pretty cheap so I tried one. It did not last long. I have been pretty happy with the sealed bearings so far.

I like the looks of the black/bronze bearings Lchien posted.

Comment

Working...