• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Wood Magazine Mobile Lift Mods

As promised in the Jointer Dust Collection thread, here is my take on the Wood magazine shop made mobile base.

I had built 2 of these units to go under a HF 6" jointer and my Grizzly G-055 band saw. Both were constructed of Maple and Maple ply, and done according to Wood's plans. I found 2 things I didn't like about the design.

First was the use of fixed casters on one end of the base. While that might not be a problem for most, it made manuvering the machines inside the Playpen when trying to 'park' them difficult. The obvious sollution was simply to put adjustable feet on all 4 corners with swivel casters on a lift at both ends. I incorporated the lift design into the base of the cabinet I built for the wife's lathe, but addedthe swivel casters at both ends.

The other problem I had with the design was the lift lever. It was designed to rotate parrallel to the caster lift plate. This was not a problem with the band saw, but having to rotate a lever underneath the tables of the jointer was cumbersome. Also, having the lever rotate on a bolt that was in a threaded insert, I found the bolt wanted to back out. This loosened the lever and made contact with the caster plate sloppy at times.

Thinking about this problem, I decided the fix was to make the lever perpendicular to the ends of the lift so the action required was to step straight down on the lever. To test the idea, I built an MDF prototye that could be bolted to the ends of the BT3000 base. After a couple of mods to the design I came up with a workable model. With the prototype bolted in place my wife, who has extreme back problems, was able to easily llift the BT3 up on the casters.

This is the final version of the prototype.

Parked position
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Caster Lift 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	798053

Name:	Caster Lift 3.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	798054

Mobile position

Name:	Caster Lift 2.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	798055

Although they have never been installed, I did build a set oif lifts for the BT3. These pics of my mods are from that set.

The top plate is cut to receive the pillow block for the camlever. Not the lines for the 14 Degree bevel on the front of the cut.

Name:	DSCF0181.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	798056

The sides of the pillow block are machined with a dovetail bit.

Name:	DSCF0180.JPG
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	798057

Prior to assembly, the sides of the block are drilled for the lever pivot
    bolt.

Name:	DSCF0183.JPG
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	798058

Assembly of the top plate was done with Titebond II with no mechanical fasteners used. Everything was held in place to dry with filler blocks and some shims. A quick grip clamp was used to keep the pillow block tight to the back of the slot.

Name:	DSCF0187.JPG
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	798059
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

When I built the cabinet for my 8" Rockwell jointer I incorporated the modified lift into the base. The lever pivot bolt is secured with a nylon lock nut on the infeed side as I intended. Due to a design eror on my part, the lever on the outfeed side interferes with attaching the dust collection hose. For that reason I used a standard not to secure the bolt and simply remove the lever when the jointer is in position for use.

Even with the weight of this macine,I haven't had any problemswith the design on the glued joint of the pollow block assembly. I do lift up on the ends of the tables when I set the casters to make it easier.

Name:	Motor and Belt.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	786284

Name:	Chip Collection.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	786285

On a final note. The casters for a tool base is not somewhere you want to trade quality for a few pennies. The axles in cheap casters have poor, if any, bearings and the swivel plate usually has a single row of loosely fitted bearings. With any amount of weight the casters are difficult to roll and nearly impossible to manuever. My jointer and stand weigh somewhere around 300#'s and roll on 2" swivel casters.

My preference for heavier applications is Darnell Rose casters. They are made in the USA yet are in line pricewise with imported units found at Rockler or Woodcraft. More important is that the casters are not ready made. You can determine the plate size, type and size of the wheels, type of axle bearings used, etc. All swivel bearings have a double row of bearings in the swivel. Single action or dual action brakes are available for most caster configurations. I am not associated with the company in any way, just a very satisfied repeat cutomer.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• aiyou
      SawdustZone Patron
      • Mar 2006
      • Charlotte, NC
      • BT3100

Pappy,

First, wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife - hope she feels better soon.

Thanks for the additional details. I remember now the post about the mobile base on the lathe stand - the dovetailed pillow block was the memory trigger.

This looks like a great mod for my jointer.

Rob

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

That's an awesome base. Just wondering though. How do you lock / unlock it from the down position?
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by dbhost
          That's an awesome base. Just wondering though. How do you lock / unlock it from the down position?
          The lever has an eccentric shape to it, as did the original design. In the down (mobile) position it there is a flat spot that sits against the hinged caster plate. In the up (parked) position, the casters actually touch the floor but there is no contact on them from the lever. The weight of the tool/base is on the adjustable feet.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• JoeS01
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2013
            • Tropical NQ, Australia

Hello, this is my first posting to this forum. Can anyone please advise on the magazine and issue number with the original design? would be great if I could get an electronic copy of it.

Regards,

Joe

( Townsville, Australia)

Comment

• aiyou
              SawdustZone Patron
              • Mar 2006
              • Charlotte, NC
              • BT3100

Hello Joe.

I first saw reference to Wood's version of the mobile base in the Best Ever Workshops, I think the 2002 publication. As this was part of a Best Ever compilation, it may have been referenced in an earlier magazine, too.

Looks like Amazon has a downloadable plan as well.

Comment

• JoeS01
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2013
                • Tropical NQ, Australia

Many thanks for this info, aiyou, much appreciated

Kind regards,

Joe

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Pappy, how is this mobile base holding up for you?

I'm resigned to the fact that even in my 2 car garage shop, the TS is going to be the only thing that is stationary.

I desperately want to setup my Uncle's inherited midi-lathe but it's going to have to stay mobile.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

The base on the jointer is about 3 1/2 years old and still holding up fine.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

That's really a nice base for the jointer!
                      Bill

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by os1kne
                        That's really a nice base for the jointer!
                        Thanks. I have the hinges and a latch laying around somewhere to install a safety cover over the belt and pulley, just never built it.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...