X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JSUPreston
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Montgomery, AL.
    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Air nailer

My 18 gauge finish nailer is getting a little long in the tooth. Misfires a lot, doesn't seem to do a well with 2" brads as it used to, etc. It's an old Craftsman from about 10-12 years ago. It's been a good unit, but I'm spending more time maintaining it than using it.

I noticed a 3 pack of nailers for $70 at HD. It's this package:http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ec...1#.UIMJf1EYqZQ

Anyone have any experience? I'll be retiring the old Craftsman as soon as I can get a good replacement.

I've looked at the one at HF, and it looks just like the 18 gauge Campbell Hausfeld that I got with my little compressor. I've never liked it.
    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You might try filing off the end of your drive pin flat. After a lot of use it can get peened just enough to misfire.

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

I have an older style (#66995, blue/black) HF 18g brad nailer- misfires frequently. I don't use it enough to be much of an issue so far, just a nuisance. I don't know if their new model is better, or a cosmetic change.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Not sure how useful the "thin wire stapler" in the kit would be for me. I've had great usefulness (i.e., no misfires) out of the individual items I've gotten from HF, but if you're leaning toward HD, you might want to look at this 3-piece combo - no experience with the "Surebonder" brand, but assuming you don't already have a 16g nailer, it may be more useful than the thin wire stapler.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JSUPreston
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • Montgomery, AL.
          • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Just for more info, my nailer is the older, black version of this one:
          http://www.sears.com/craftsman-18-ga...9&blockType=G9 When I said misfires, I meant it's firing blanks when I try to use a 2" brad. I've only had a few true misfires and jams.

I do have a 16 gauge Ridgid that I've never used. It came with a miter saw that I bought years ago. I wonder if I should make that one my go to gun.
          Last edited by JSUPreston; 10-21-2012, 03:37 PM.
          "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Comment

• cabinetman
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by JSUPreston
            When I said misfires, I meant it's firing blanks when I try to use a 2" brad. I've only had a few true misfires and jams.
            Does it leak air at all?

Originally posted by JSUPreston
            I do have a 16 gauge Ridgid that I've never used. It came with a miter saw that I bought years ago. I wonder if I should make that one my go to gun.
            You could, but 16 ga might be a bit much for some fastening.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

the question is, do you need a 18 ga brad nailer and 2 staplers? (not really three nailers).
              the narrow gauge stapler is for hanging like masonite sheets and pegboard and stuff like that, maybe 1/4" plywood and panelling where appearance is not prime concern. The fine wire wide crown staplers are more for hanging fabrics or upholstery use.

An OK kit if that's what you need. I probably fire one staple for every 100 brad nails I shoot... staplers are not my go to fastener altho they have their place (won't pull out as easily as brads for example when fastening thin sheet material).
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                • Jun 2006
                • So. Florida
                • Delta

In doing casework, cabinets, showcases, either painted, laminated with mica, or veneered, an 18 ga narrow crown stapler would be the major fastener.

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I just went through at least a thousand narrow angle staples building a kitchen and they do hold well. I used a Hitachi stapler, works well enough.

I have used and still own three PC brand nailers - framing, finishing and brad and IMHO they are the best.

I have a Freeman micropin nailer thats nice, but not as good as the pc stuff. It works ok, but you have to manually adjust for the length of the pins. The feed pressure is not always strong enough and will allow the unit to dryfire. With headless pins this small, sometimes its hard to tell if you hit it or not...

If I were you, I would hit the local pawnshops and test out a PC 18 nailer, bring your own supply and hose and some scrap Ebay shows average prices for this unit around $15
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.

I realized that the unit I had seen at HF was the 18 gauge nailer/stapler combo. So, after thinking about it for a couple of days, I picked up the 18 gauge nailer tonight. After tax, it was a grand total of $16.49.

I've got some molding I need to put up the next couple of days. Perfect time to try it out. So far, the one thing I don't like is that the safety is on the opposite side of the opening for the nails. Just something I'll have to get used to.

Comment

• tropicalarcadian
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2012
                      • South Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3000 13amp

i've used almost every name brand of air nailer and have been most pleased with Hitachi. As a rule i find all the rest of Hitachi tools to be mediocre. A 1/4" narrow crown is very nice to have. But, if you only need a low priced but faithful 18 gauge brad nailer, then i highly recommend a reconditioned Hitachi from CPO or BigSkyTool.

Comment

• tropicalarcadian
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Oct 2012
                        • South Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3000 13amp

18 gauge, 2" Brad nailer, on sale for 33 clams 8)
                        http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_NT50AE...d)___i320.aspx

Comment

• tropicalarcadian
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Oct 2012
                          • South Florida
                          • Ryobi BT3000 13amp

and here is a stapler for 34
                          http://bigskytool.com/Hitachi_N3804A...)___i1051.aspx
                          Just a note btw, the stapler-nailer combo guns leave a staple wide hole even when you use brads, so it's better to have separate guns for your best looking work

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Buena Park, CA
                            • CM 21829

Originally posted by tropicalarcadian
                            Just a note btw, the stapler-nailer combo guns leave a staple wide hole even when you use brads...
                            Isn't this issue correctable by reducing the pressure to the gun? My HF combo nailer/stapler doesn't have this issue with the pressure adjusted.
                            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                              Isn't this issue correctable by reducing the pressure to the gun? My HF combo nailer/stapler doesn't have this issue with the pressure adjusted.
                              If you set the gun to put the brad below the surface then it does. The hole is as deep as the top of the brad, if the brad is just flush then there is no hole.

I have the HF 18 awg brad nailer too. The only time it misfires and no nail comes out is when it's out of nails

Bill on the left coast

Comment

Working...