• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looking for a jig saw recommendation.

My 20 year old Skil Jig Saw didn't survive a project I worked on over the weekend. It let out copious amount of smoke, thankfully just as the last cut finished...

Now I am looking for a good replacement jig saw and was looking for recommendations.

Now mind you, a jig saw isn't my everyday go to tool, partly because I hated that Skil jig saw so much... I am thinking in the $100.00 range...

What's out there that you guys have used and liked?

I should mention, if at all possible, U shank would be best as I have a collection of U shank blades...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

You'll get a lot of recommendations for a Bosch, and I can agree. It will blow your budget however.

Within your budget, check out the Craftsman. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-2-in-...p-00928223000P

Barrel or top handle, takes both kinds of blades. Has a blower/vac port, laser, LED, scroll. I think it competes with anything south of a Bosch, and perhaps a Bosch as well. Certainly can't beat it for the value.

The only thing wrong with it is the power switch used for barrel mode is hard to operate one-handed. That's the only thing wrong with it I've found though.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Bid on these...
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-Bosch-1...item3ccb6d0598

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-1590EV...item1c2c02bcb6

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

This is right in your price wheelhouse and I guarantee you'll like it, jigsaw.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I love the Bosch blades for sure... I admit I am leery of buying used handheld power tools. Not sure why. Used stationaries don't bug me at all... And the new price on a Bosch 1590 is enough to give you sticker shock...

That Craftsman looks okay. Any experience with it?

I'm not worried about barrel handled. I prefer a top handle by a large margin... Barrel arrangements feel weird to me...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2010

Originally posted by dbhost
            I love the Bosch blades for sure... I admit I am leery of buying used handheld power tools. Not sure why. Used stationaries don't bug me at all... And the new price on a Bosch 1590 is enough to give you sticker shock...

That Craftsman looks okay. Any experience with it?

I'm not worried about barrel handled. I prefer a top handle by a large margin... Barrel arrangements feel weird to me...
            I've had the Craftsman for a few months now. It's my go-to, although I don't own a Bosch. I did the little curve cuts with it on the gift I just gave my mom. Completely forgot about the scroll function, could have saved me some time and effort.

I suppose the best thing about going that route first is you can try it out and return it if you don't like it.
            I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• jseklund
              Established Member
              • Aug 2006

I'll be the only guy on here probably to put in a vote for the upper end Dewalt - everyone loves the Bosch, but I feel the Dewalt is just as good, especially vs. the newer Bosch model without the guide blocks.

I know you've got a budget, but if you can get the Bosch or Dewalt on sale it can be had for about $125 and that extra $25 will be worth it. My dad had some crappy old jig saws that I don't think I've EVER seen him use. He used my Dewalt one day and couldn't stop talking about it. He's not really a tool guy either. A good jig saw is a completely different tool than an average jig saw.
              F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I am honestly looking for a good one... I am certainly willing to up the budget some, but the $250.00 the Bosch retails for is a bit much for the function I feel...

I want something that will be a pleasure to use, not something I want to thow away because it annoys me...

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

I picked up a Bosch barrel grip 1584avsk a couple years ago for $100 that replaced a bottom line Skill. I would never want to use a jigsaw saw that didn't have any orbital sawing after using my Bosch. Tool-less blade changes are pretty sweet too.

I've heard good things on that Craftsman that CocheseUGA linked to.
                  Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If you won't take the very sound advice of response #4, , and can up your budget another $70 this Makita ranks right up there with the best of them.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2005
                      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Though rarely mentioned, I really like my Grizzly jig saw.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/VS-J...pecial-/G8994Z

I have never used another jig saw, other than a POS Craftsman a few years ago, so ignorance may be bliss in this instance. I do really like it, though.
                      Joe

Comment

• Stytooner
                        Roll Tide RIP Lee
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                        • BT3100

If you want a smooth running life long jigsaw, get the Bosch.
                        If you only use one every now and then, get something inferior.
                        My Bosch cuts through thin steel easily and without issue.
                        I have owned a couple bad ones. Really no comparison.
                        Lee

Comment

• mpc
                          • Feb 2005
                          • Cypress, CA, USA.
                          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Try to find somebody with the Bosch 1587 or 1590, or a store that will let you test-drive them... you may revise your opinion of what a jig saw can really do and thus be willing to spend a bit more to get one you'll really like. I have an older Craftsman scroll style that is just garbage compared to my 1587. Even mom could tell the difference! The gap between a low-end jig saw and a quality one is bigger than worn-vs-new table saw blade. Both in quality of cut and ease & pleasure of use.

mpc

Comment

• sciguy
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jun 2009
                            • dfw texas
                            • bt3100

I picked up a Bosch JS-5 a couple of years ago at Woodcraft. Retail was $100 but I either used a coupon or got it on sale - paid about $70. I've been very pleased with it: Var. spd, oscillating blade setting, air jet to blow away sawdust from the cut line, and a vac/DC outlet. This jig saw was listed as their upgrade JS in Wood Magazine No 190. (Top Buys in 6 Basic Power Tools)

HTH. Happy shopping.

Comment

• kramer katt
                              Established Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • SO CAL, USA
                              • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

I have always longed for a 1587 or 1590. Never had the cash same time as a job that needed one. Getting by with a mid range Dewalt. Constantly keep an eye on store and online pricing for those Bosch saws. Recently the two models with the better guides have disappeared from almost all the normal sources replaced with several definitely inferior models. Even the most expensive new saw seems like the previous "homeowner" version. One of the few places the 1590 still is found is at full price at CPO Bosch with the nice modular box. Does anyone here know if these are truly discontinued?
                              BTW sears sold a craftsman version of the Bosch (made in switzerland) until few years ago that would be a good score
                              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...