Tool "Types"

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • greenacres2
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2011
    • 633
    • La Porte, IN
    • Ryobi BT3000

    #1

    Tool "Types"

    All right--over the past year i've accumulated a decent assortment of power tools--hoping to start building skill next. In the process, i've seen many power tools from many manufacturers that are labelled "Type 1" or "Type 2". My assumption has been that the Type 2 is an updated version of the original, nice of them to mark the difference and provide an indication that an upgrade (or at least change) had occurred. That would explain the "Type 2" label.

    Got to thinking last night--how did they know to label the original version as "Type 1"? Do they simply assume that they'll make it better--or at least different--at some point?? Kind of makes me wonder if i should ever buy anything that is marked "Type 1" or just wait until the improved "Type 2" comes out.

    In the movies, they made "Jaws", "Rocky", "Naked Gun" all without numbers then started adding the numbers on the sequels--"Jaws 2", "Rocky 27", "Naked Gun 33 1/3"--even though the sequel was probably already in the works by the time the original was released.

    Just wondering...

    earl
  • mineengineer
    Established Member
    • Feb 2005
    • 113
    • Pittsburgh, PA, USA.
    • BT3000 and BT3100 Frankensaw

    #2
    Types

    I think the type designation on electrical power tool nameplates refers to either NEMA, CSE or UL listings or ratings. I think it is refering to how well the housing and components inside are electrically insulated and react to dust/water.
    Link

    Comment

    • sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • 2873
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

      #3
      I think your assessment of the "Type" designation is correct. It signifies whether or not a tool is the original release, Type 1, or some subsequent change in the tool, Type 2, etc,. That change doesn't even have to necessarily mean a change in the tools design. As has happened all to often in recent years, it could also represent a change in the country of manufacture.
      _________________________
      "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

      Comment

      • pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • 4217
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

        #4
        I think it means a revision in the tool. A later Type doesn't always mean better, it could be cutbacks and small revisions to lessen the cost of making it too.
        Erik

        Comment

        • Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • 4301
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

          #5
          I think type 1 or type 2 is specific to the particular item.
          I know of lots of things that are type 1 or two. Some diseases are differentiated the same way.
          It could actually mean any number of things in a particular product line.
          I have seen it in Delta table saws when looking up parts.
          What specific tool and maker did you have in mind or did I miss that?
          Lee

          Comment

          • cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • 15216
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

            #6
            Originally posted by Stytooner
            I think type 1 or type 2 is specific to the particular item.
            I know of lots of things that are type 1 or two.
            I knew a girl in high school that was a type 1.

            .

            Comment

            • LCHIEN
              Super Moderator
              • Dec 2002
              • 22085
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

              #7
              earl, can you provide a couple of pictures of the labels showing type 1 and type 2 in question? I'm pretty sure its not a revision level, I think it may be electrical but I need to see the context. MY suspicion is it has to do with double insulated or grounded types.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

              Comment

              • sweensdv
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • 2873
                • WI
                • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

                #8
                My Porter Cable 557 Biscuit Joiner is a Type 2. There were some design changes made to it after the first model was on the market for awhile. The Type 2 on the label was their way of designating the Type 2 as being the current model. I believe that now the current 557 being offered for sale now is a Type 3. None of the changes is design, for this particular tool at least, had anything to do at all with the electrical portion of the tool.
                _________________________
                "Have a Great Day, unless you've made other plans"

                Comment

                • tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 2334

                  #9
                  Originally posted by cabinetman
                  I knew a girl in high school that was a type 1.

                  .
                  I knew a girl in school that was type 2 ,She hung around the woodshop an awful lot

                  Comment

                  • greenacres2
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2011
                    • 633
                    • La Porte, IN
                    • Ryobi BT3000

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Stytooner
                    I think type 1 or type 2 is specific to the particular item.
                    I know of lots of things that are type 1 or two. Some diseases are differentiated the same way.
                    It could actually mean any number of things in a particular product line.
                    I have seen it in Delta table saws when looking up parts.
                    What specific tool and maker did you have in mind or did I miss that?
                    Sty--i think Gottagetatoolitis is a disease, i've got type 2.

                    Loring--pics are attached. The first is a Dewalt 733 planer, marked Type 1 under the DW733. The second is a Delta 22-540 planer (needs to be put up for sale, replaced with the 733) labelled as a Type 2 to the right of the 22-540 designation. Seems like my PC 690 is marked too, but i didn't have reading glasses with me when i went out.

                    Erik--fully agreed that a change in any model doesn't necessarily mean an improvement.

                    Thanks for the input. And the humor!!

                    earl
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by greenacres2; 09-26-2012, 08:08 PM.

                    Comment

                    • LCHIEN
                      Super Moderator
                      • Dec 2002
                      • 22085
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

                      #11
                      Originally posted by greenacres2
                      Sty--i think Gottagetatoolitis is a disease, i've got type 2.

                      Loring--pics are attached. The first is a Dewalt 733 planer, marked Type 1 under the DW733. The second is a Delta 22-540 planer (needs to be put up for sale, replaced with the 733) labelled as a Type 2 to the right of the 22-540 designation. Seems like my PC 690 is marked too, but i didn't have reading glasses with me when i went out.

                      Erik--fully agreed that a change in any model doesn't necessarily mean an improvement.

                      Thanks for the input. And the humor!!

                      earl
                      One more question now:
                      do all the Type 1 tools have 3 prong (grounded) power plug and the type 2 tools have 2-prong non-grounded plugs?
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

                      Comment

                      • GerryR
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 21
                        • South Central Virginia
                        • Craftsman 218290

                        #12
                        I asked that question of Porter Cable when I purchased their small (2-1/2 x 14), mdl 371 belt sander. This was their response:

                        "Dear Gerry, thank you for contacting Porter-Cable on-line support.

                        Any time there is a type change there is a change made to unit generally it is something like a change in manufacturer for a part, in some cases it is a performance change. There is not a listing of the "changes" made however there is no performance difference from the type 1 to type 2 unit."

                        Comment

                        • greenacres2
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2011
                          • 633
                          • La Porte, IN
                          • Ryobi BT3000

                          #13
                          Both of those have 3 prong plugs.
                          earl

                          Comment

                          Working...