2nd Cordless Tool Battery Died after about 14 months...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eezlock
    • Feb 2006
    • Charlotte,N.C.
    • BT3100

2nd cordless tool battery died

You might want to think about having the battery pack rebuilt. I called and
    took my DeWalt 18v battery to Batteries Plus and had them rebuild it cheaper than buying a new one.They can rebuild it to factory standards or make it heavy duty for a few extra dollars, I'm glad that they rebuilt mine, it is better than ever, wouldn't hesitate to do it again especially for the money.

I also asked them about the older Makita 9.6v "stick type" ni-cad batteries,no problem,they have plenty of them and are reasonable too! These people are good to deal with and quick on the repairs too. Check them out ....you'll be glad you did!

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Just an update, I've since "doubled down" on the Makita's. I got a brushless combo kit that I used just for the batteries (sold everything except the brushless drill). Then, I got the brushless impact driver they have when it went on clearance. What with a HF 20% off coupon got it down to $220. I haven't sold the extra charger yet, but I thought it was definitely worth the cost. So, after going through my first two batteries, I now had 5 new ones. Well make that 4, because my third battery died recently. But at least this one is under Warranty still...

I love love love my Makita tools, but if these batteries can't last this long, it's really going to tick me off.

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by eezlock
        You might want to think about having the battery pack rebuilt. I called and
        took my DeWalt 18v battery to Batteries Plus and had them rebuild it cheaper than buying a new one.They can rebuild it to factory standards or make it heavy duty for a few extra dollars, I'm glad that they rebuilt mine, it is better than ever, wouldn't hesitate to do it again especially for the money.

I also asked them about the older Makita 9.6v "stick type" ni-cad batteries,no problem,they have plenty of them and are reasonable too! These people are good to deal with and quick on the repairs too. Check them out ....you'll be glad you did!
        I don't think you can rebuild the new makita LI batteries as they have a chip in them to tell when the battery is either unsafe or has a dead cell. The chip unfortunately feeds off of the first cell instead of the entire pack, which if the battery is stored and not used much can drain down the one cell setting off the chip rendering the battery unchargeable.... planned replacement? who knows. Some chat online says makita has addressed this issue. I'm not opening my pak to find out! Don't run them down to the end, recharge them often enough, use them at least a few times a month and recharge them periodically when not in use.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Rslaugh
          • Sep 2003
          • Red Lion, PA, USA.
          • Ridgid

Originally posted by BigguyZ
          Well, I finally filled my tax return, and with that I picked up the Ridgid set at HD last night. After HF 20% off coupon, it was $430 after tax. ......
          HF Coupon at HD?
          Rick
          IG: @rslaugh_photography
          A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
          And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
          ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

• BigguyZ
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2006
            • Minneapolis, MN
            • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

HF= Harbor Freight, HD= BORG= Big Orange Retail Giant = Home Depot

Harbor Freight regularly has 20% off any single item coupons in magazines, flyers/ mailers, or the entertainment book. HF matches competitor coupons, so I never buy anything big without getting a HF coupon.

Comment

• Rslaugh
              • Sep 2003
              • Red Lion, PA, USA.
              • Ridgid

Originally posted by BigguyZ
              HF= Harbor Freight, HD= BORG= Big Orange Retail Giant = Home Depot

Harbor Freight regularly has 20% off any single item coupons in magazines, flyers/ mailers, or the entertainment book. HF matches competitor coupons, so I never buy anything big without getting a HF coupon.
              Yup - understand all the abbreviations. Just wanted to make sure I was reading it right that Home depot would actually honor a HF coupon. Thanks!!
              Rick
              IG: @rslaugh_photography
              A sailor travels to many lands, Any place he pleases
              And he always remembers to wash his hands, So's he don't gets no diseases
              ~PeeWee Herman~

Comment

Working...