2nd Cordless Tool Battery Died after about 14 months...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigguyZ
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2006
    • Minneapolis, MN
    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

2nd Cordless Tool Battery Died after about 14 months...

So, a little over a year ago I decided it was time to invest in a new LI cordless drill set. After much reading, I settled on the Makita LXT set, as that was the one that had the best reviews consistently. So, for the first time I think, I bought the best tool available- knowing that this will be something I'll use over and over again.

I have to say, I was not disappointed! This is an incredibly well-made set, from the build quality to the performance. I've never been able to use any of the Ryobi cordless saws- they're under powered and the batteries would go out before I could make a single cut through plywood.

However, with the Makitas, I've found the cordless reciprocating saw and circular saw both to be more than powerful enough for all but the most severe tasks. After doing a ton of demo with the reciprocating saw, and a lot of framing with the circular saw, I've had no need to lug my heavier corded versions around. Even cutting trough steel pipes to remove old plumbing, gas, and electrical from my brother's house, I've had no problems using the recip saw. Compared to the Porter Cable 18V LI drill/ driver set I bought when Lowes clearanced them, there's no comparison at all.

Even things like the charger are impressive. The LED lights are well thought out, the batteries charge extremely quickly. There's a fan to cool the batteries, and the music that it plays tells you when the batteries are charged (which sounds like a "who cares" feature, but it's really quite helpful).

But that's where things go awry. Just over a year after I bought the set, the first battery died. The warranty for the tools themselves is 3 years, but for the batteries, it's only 1 year. So I was down to just one battery for the set, and while switching batteries back and forth stunk, I still was able to use the set and I didn't have too many issues with the battery dying too quickly. But just last weekend, the second battery died! The charger tells you when the battery has an issue, and now both do. I asked about service, and I'm told that there's really no point. New batteries are about $80/ each, though if I bought a kit I could in theory sell the tools and charger and get the batteries for a net cost of $70-$100...

I'll open the batteries up before I write them off forever, but I'm left with a Dilema. Do I stick with Makita, or do I sell my individual parts for my current set, and go to another brand? Specifically, I'm looking at the Rigid with their Lifetime Service Agreement. It's going to be more $$ to switch to Rigid, no doubt. Also, Rigid has fewer tools in their cordless line when compared to the Makita. But, if the battery dies it's replaced. However, is that worth if it the batteries don't last as long during use, or if they're not as powerful as what I'm using? After picking up those PC drills for $35, the only reason I'm not ticked at how underpowered they are is because I bought the drill/driver set for $35. Otherwise, for regular use in working on a house, I have to say it's definitely not suited for heavy work.

What do you guys think? Shold I switch, or should I stick with Makita and just get new batteries, knowing that (when the batteries aren't broken) the tools work very well and suit my needs?

Thanks!
  • RAFlorida
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2008
    • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
    • Ryobi BT3000

In February 2006 I bought

the Ridgid combo tool kit that came with two batteries. After about 2 years battery A died and then about another year the second one bit the dust. Took both batteries to their repair center and they replaced them both. I asked if that ended the warranty on the batteries and the service man said as long I owned the tools and batteries, they were warrantied for life. That's why I own all Ridgid cordless tools. True, they don't have a large display of cordless, but for battery warranty, that makes all the diffence. In a twenty year period, that can add up to a small fortune.

Comment

• BigguyZ
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2006
      • Minneapolis, MN
      • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

How have they performed? Like I noted, I have a PC set as well, and literally after drilling two holes with a 2" hole saw into a joist, the bettery is spent! That's just not acceptable for me.

Comment

• RAFlorida
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
        • Ryobi BT3000

I retired in the summer of 06

and had used the Ridgid tool in the electrical trade for about 6 months and they held up rather strongly. Hammer drill would work all day, the same with the reciprocation saw. After retiring, I used the tools around the house and other jobs on the side. Ridgid makes some really tough tools and the batteries go a long ways.

Comment

• T...K21
          Forum Newbie
          • Feb 2012
          • Southern Idaho
          • BT3100

Batteries are where they get you. Doesn't matter the brand. I think if you've been pretty happy with Makita models then just get new batteries. If not...then this would be a good excuse to try a different brand.

I've always packed a 3rd battery when I framed and finished. Having a 3rd kept me from having to wait.

I haven't gone Li...yet. I'm still using an old DeWalt XRP 14.4 drill and driver that I purchased about 7 years ago and is still going strong. I've replaced 1 battery so far.

I think its funny that they cost about the same, either Li...or NiMh, even though NiMh is getting phazed out.

Comment

• charliex
            • Mar 2004
            • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
            • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Ridgid: **** heavy but they are built for heavy use. In the last 7 years I have had replaced, 8 Nicad and 2 Li batteries, no charge. That figures out to be about $760.00 worth. It makes me strongly consider Ridgid when I'm looking for equipment.

Comment

• T...K21
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2012
              • Southern Idaho
              • BT3100

Originally posted by charliex
              Ridgid: **** heavy but they are built for heavy use. In the last 7 years I have had replaced, 8 Nicad and 2 Li batteries, no charge. That figures out to be about $760.00 worth. It makes me strongly consider Ridgid when I'm looking for equipment.
              How'd you go through so many? What volt packs did you have?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

so, are you thinking about buying an electric car?
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

I've been using battery tools since the 80's, and the first versions worked best when drained and recharged. With hard and frequent use the batteries don't last forever, but close. I still have an original Bosch 9.6V on a second set of batteries.

I use a PC 14.4 and had a battery die after 2 years, and for $60 to replace its cheaper than another drill. When LI-ION came out I gave it a try. They hold a charge when not in use, and recharge quickly. For your choice, I would go with LI-ION, especially if you don't use it daily.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2005
                    • Independence, MO, USA.
                    • bt3100

Originally posted by T...K21
                    Batteries are where they get you. Doesn't matter the brand. I think if you've been pretty happy with Makita models then just get new batteries. If not...then this would be a good excuse to try a different brand.

I've always packed a 3rd battery when I framed and finished. Having a 3rd kept me from having to wait.

I haven't gone Li...yet. I'm still using an old DeWalt XRP 14.4 drill and driver that I purchased about 7 years ago and is still going strong. I've replaced 1 battery so far.

I think its funny that they cost about the same, either Li...or NiMh, even though NiMh is getting phazed out.
                    I agree on the batteries thing. I think the whole "Ridgid" thing is somewhat of a scam in some area's. Not everyone has a service area close. (and don't forget to do the complete service card/registration thing, read about that) I also have problems with you can't get the lifetime warranty on new batteries.
                    That said, both the nicad and NiMH batteries are rebuildable and I picked up my NiMH when Lithium first came out and was expensive. I still grab a corded drill for a lot of things out of preference or need for slower speed.

Years ago I bought a 14.4 Ridgid, which is how I learned about the lack of warranty on new batteries, as I would like a second.
                    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by T...K21
                      ....Batteries are where they get you.....
                      not if you have properly registered ridgid tools eligible for their LSA. i and both sons are all cordless ridigid. oldest son is in plumbing and likes not having to pay for repairs or buy new batteries when problems arise. true, the registration process can take a while (sometimes 6 months) and the quality of one's experience with the program is a function of the local participating repair shop, but i have yet, 8 years in, to be disappointed.
                      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• vaking
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100-1

I am not a fan of cordless tools. I have antique 18v Nicad drill with 2 batteries. It is cheap, chinese drill - HF or something similar. Heavy and batteries don't last very long but with 2 batteries it is usable. I always keep one charging and replace batteries as I work. Still I would not try to use cordless drill with hole saw type use. I also have a 4v Lion driver - light duty tool. Good to put together a RTA kitchen cabinet on 1/2" screws, will not be able to drive a deck screw. Recently I bought a 12v drill and impact driver (Craftsman). It is lighter than 18V and more power than 4v driver but I have not grown used to it yet. I do not have any other cordless tools, I will not even consider using cordless saw of any kind or a router.
                        Alex V

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          so, are you thinking about buying an electric car?
                          I got a new car 3 months ago and I was considering hybrid, so I tried to collect some information. As an example I compared Lincoln MKZ regular (gasoline) version and Lincoln MKZ hybrid. I was not actually considering Lincoln but this is a good comparrison because this car exists in both Gas and hybrid versions so you can compare apples to apples.
                          This is what I learned:
                          If you buy a car - it comes with 7 year warranty. Battery on a hybrid typically lasts about 4 years. Replacement is free during warranty, around $8K off the warranty. So if you buy a car - expect to have one battery replaced during the warranty and to shell out $8K right after warranty expires. Hybrid costs a more to buy upfront but that $8K at the end will make a huge difference.
                          If you lease - hybrid is 1.5 times more expensive to lease than gasoline version. Lease payments are based on how well the car holds value over 3 year period and they know they would be replacing battery for $8K right after the lease, so in terms of holding value - hybrids suck. Needless to say - I lost any appetite for hybrids so far, we shall revisit this topic in about 3 years.
                          Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Batteries are still not as reliable as we'd like.
                            Spending $8K on a car that's 8 years old is a very questionable expenditure given that the car may only be worth around $8000 - depending upon the initial value of the car. The total used car value may be as much as the battery repair at that point causing most people to have to buy a new car.

Car batteries are babied compared to the batteries you use in a power tool. The lifetime of a battery (that is the time that it will no longer charge up to hold a large enough charge to be useful) is a function of the number and depth of cycles - as the battery is cycled, the total charge capacity gradually reduces. In car batteries, the user accessible charge is deliberately limited to about half the original available charge capacity to keep users from discharging it too deeply and accelerating loss of life. THis way, the battery as it ages, will lose capacity but the user will not notice until the battery has lost more than half its charge capacity.

In your tools, there's no limit to discharge. Most users discharge it all the way until it won't hardly turn which is extremely bad for the battery - you should stop using it as soon as you sense any slow down at all, if not sooner! Do not try to get one more screw driven.

That's why car batteries last 4 years and tool batteries last 2 years.
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 06-14-2012, 10:27 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• conwaygolfer
                              Established Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Conway, SC.
                              • BT3000

If you go with Ridgid - get the 3 amp. batteries. They serve me much longer than the smaller 1.5 amp. I switched from Dewalt because of the battery cost and Ridgid with it's lifetime warranty. Haven't needed it yet but I did register it. Actually I have 4 batteries - 2 1.5 and 2 3amp. Am very satisfied.
                              Hopefully never buy another battery.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

Working...