• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Denco
    • Mar 2003
    • Coming soon: California
    • BT3100

Spindle Sanders

What is the importance of the the spindle drum moving up and down during the sanding process when using a spindle sander?
    *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

Two I think of are that the oscillations reduce the sanding scratches all going in the same direction, and that there is less chance of burning.

Think of it like hand sanding in one direction versus using a circular motion.
    Brian

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the vertical oscillation eliminates horizontal marks where there's a bad or worn spot on the sanding spindle. Makes a smoother finish.
      Also evens the wear on the spindle when there's a narrow workpiece or a single hard or high spot you're sanding.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-23-2012, 01:32 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• warrenp
        Established Member
        • Mar 2004
        • Kentucky, USA.

It also helps keep the sandpaper from loading up. I had a set of drill press sanding drums that worked okay, but they would heat up so much that the rubber would melt. I have one of the Ridgid oscillating sanders and have been using the same spindle sanding sleeves for over two years. Numerous projects.

With the drill press drums, the sleeves would last less than an hour and be totally gummed up.

Note: I am surprised at how long they last. The oscillating belt doesn't last quite as long, but still lasts a very long time.

Cheers,
        Warren

Comment

• Joe DeFazio
          Forum Newbie
          • Jan 2006
          • Pittsburgh, PA
          • BT3100

Originally posted by warrenp
          It also helps keep the sandpaper from loading up. I had a set of drill press sanding drums that worked okay, but they would heat up so much that the rubber would melt. I have one of the Ridgid oscillating sanders and have been using the same spindle sanding sleeves for over two years. Numerous projects.

With the drill press drums, the sleeves would last less than an hour and be totally gummed up.

Note: I am surprised at how long they last....
          A related benefit with an oscillating spindle sander is that more of the sandpaper's surface area is used.

With a non-oscillating drum, only a band of sandpaper the thickness of the item being sanded is in use. You end up with a very worn band of sandpaper, and some virgin (wasted) sandpaper. Of course, you can turn some non-oscillating sandpaper sleeves upside down to get more use out of the sandpaper.

The oscillating spindle allows more of the sandpaper to be used as it oscillates. And, if you are mostly sanding thinner stock with a longer oscillating spindle, you can still turn the sanding sleeve upside down to get even more life from it....

To, the OP: You didn't ask for advice about acquiring an OSS, but if you are thinking about it, I say go for it! I would rate my Ridgid OSS as one of the most useful (and most used) tools in my shop. With a simple fence, it can also be used for thicknessing stock, and for many other jobs such as mitering. Once you have one, you will find many uses for it.

Comment

Working...