• Show
Clear All
  • pmichener1
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2009
    • Byesville, Ohio
    • BT3100

Looking for replacement part for Craftsman Radial Arm Saw

Just got my radial arm saw out to help with a bookshelf project (great for cutting dados), and found a bird had nested in the support column. I lost the cap long ago, and never thought much about it. Sears list the part as no longer available, and ebay has just about everything but this part. Can anyone direct me to a site or seller that might have one of these elusive parts??
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Pretty much Sears has recalled many their radial arm saws for safety issues and offered a $50 or $100 reward for turning in a key motor part to render them unusable.

Google something like "Craftsman radial arm saw recall". I'm pretty sure that's why they are not supporting it anymore plus being old.

Here's the site
    http://radialarmsawrecall.com/

Your saw may be worth more dead than alive.

If you want to use your saw and just need a cap, try different plastic can caps like off a tennis ball can, or cover with saran wrap and a rubberband. A place like Capplugs.com has all kinds and sizes of plastic caps listed on their website, while they want to sell you 100's of caps, maybe you can talk them out of a sample if you know exactly what you want.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-05-2012, 06:16 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Buy a basket case...there are plenty of them, and rob the parts.

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by pmichener1
        Just got my radial arm saw out to help with a bookshelf project (great for cutting dados), and found a bird had nested in the support column. I lost the cap long ago, and never thought much about it. Sears list the part as no longer available, and ebay has just about everything but this part. Can anyone direct me to a site or seller that might have one of these elusive parts??

i may have one.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

As I recall, Emerson was offering $100 for the return of the motor carriage assembly; but I'm sure if you check the recall link that was previously provided, you'll get the latest information on that.

However, most people (at least RAS veterans) will most likely consider their old saws to far exceed that value.

In any case, you didn't provide the model number of your Craftsman. The cap will vary to some degree depending on the model. Depending on where you live, there may well be a decent market of used RAS units on the market.

Lastly, putting almost any kind of "cap" on the column will take care of your problem, but of course having just the right one would be nice. Post your model number.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...