• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Why you need a vibratory cutting tool

The title may be a little overblown, this is more an example of how it can be a handy thing to have. I bought a cheap HF single speed model a couple years ago when the Fein patent expired and HF and everybody else came out with one. I did not immediately know what I would do with it but I've used it as a sander and to cut things but I got my best usage yet over last weekend.

I had a circuit go out in my house - wire shows open and I can't find the junction box - so I ran a new circuit from my basement electical panel to the outlets on the second floor of my house. The best path I could come up with involved cutting holes in the back of my pantry and above the pantry in the wall and ceiling. I used the HF to cut 3/4 plywood (pantry), 1/2 drywall, crown molding, and another molding on the wall. In each case, the cut line was thin enough I was able to just replace the piece I cut out. I had to screw a backer across the joint, of course, but I just put back what I took out to get the wire in place. The cuts were also accomplished quicker than I could have achieved with other methods. The thin cut line was easily filled with drywall compound prior to priming and painting. You'd have to look close to find where the pieces were removed.

Most of us probably have one (or more) but if you are sitting on the fence, you need one. Put it in the cabinet for the next time you need to do something like this. I'm sure the more expensive models are better than my HF but it works fine for me.

Jim
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Used mine for the first time the other day prepping a wall in my shop for a new covering. I've got a Craftsman corded, and I'm thankful it was there.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I have the HF model, and I use it *way* more than I ever imagined. The only problem is the blades don't last very long.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Dal300
        Banned
        • Aug 2011
        • East Central Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Ed, I buy my blades at True Value Hardware.

I've used my HF for a lot of stuff, especially when cutting out a door threshold to replace the rot. When I was done you couldn't tell there had been any work done at at all except for a new piece of Red Oak for the threshold.

It's a cool tool!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

I have a few projects coming up where it might be handy. I am glad though that the battery powered ones don't last longer then they do, as I've been told that they are a quick and quiet way that thieves remove catalytic converters.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

I guess I am just not that imaginative. I got one for Christmas year before last and returned it for items that I needed immediately.
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Dal300
              Banned
              • Aug 2011
              • East Central Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmmm, definitely not quiet! LOL

I used mine to cut an old weather head off an electrical service conduit.... you could hear it for about 100 yards. It sounds like a cross between a set of hair clippers on steroids and a F4U coming in for an attack.

If I were to try cutting exhaust pipe quietly I would use a chain cutter, 30 seconds on each end and your done.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by Dal300
                Hmmmm, definitely not quiet! LOL

I used mine to cut an old weather head off an electrical service conduit.... you could hear it for about 100 yards. It sounds like a cross between a set of hair clippers on steroids and a F4U coming in for an attack.

If I were to try cutting exhaust pipe quietly I would use a chain cutter, 30 seconds on each end and your done.
                I have the original (Fein) and it is not that noisy. Maybe on electrical conduit. It was plum quiet when I cut the cast off of my wrist, 8 weeks after I broke it - back in 2001!

To the OP, it sure is a different tool and it does things in a way not imaginable until one tries it. This is one of those tools that if you don't know about it, you don't miss it, BUT if you DO know, it is hard to do without.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• nickg
                  Established Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Marietta, Georgia
                  • Ryobi BT3000

While I was installing a 'nail down' wooden floor, I'd occasionally not hit the pneumatic nailer straight, or sometimes not hard enough. This would result in the flooring nail only partially penetrating the wood. If I couldn't set the nail, and couldn't pull it back out (they're flat and serrated) without damaging the plank, I found it easier to just cut the nail with the metal cutting blade. I must agree with whoever said the blades don't last long (they don't, and they cost too much)

Comment

• eezlock
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Charlotte,N.C.
                    • BT3100

why you need a vibratory cutting tool

I recently restored an antique, four drawer, marble topped chest that was
                    in bad shape. I had to remove a pair of wooden drawer guides that were so badly worn out, they were nothing more than a pair boards with very deep
                    gouges in them. The sides of the drawers also had to be replaced to get everything properly re-aligned and working again. Removal of the drawer slide rails would have been impossible if not for the use of the HF multi tool
                    with it's oscillating, half round blade. I cut out these guides, measured for a new piece of replacement lumber,and installed it! Looks as if it has always
                    been this way with no damage what so ever! That HF tool has saved me a lot work on several occasions...would not like being without it, now that I have one.

Comment

• Ed62
                      The Full Monte
                      • Oct 2006
                      • NW Indiana
                      • BT3K

Originally posted by Dal300
                      Ed, I buy my blades at True Value Hardware.

I've used my HF for a lot of stuff, especially when cutting out a door threshold to replace the rot. When I was done you couldn't tell there had been any work done at at all except for a new piece of Red Oak for the threshold.

It's a cool tool!
                      Thanks for the tip. I wondered if anyone sold good blades to fit the HF model.

Ed
                      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• os1kne
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Atlanta, GA
                        • BT3100

I've had my HF multi-tool for a couple of years. I've probably used it on 6-8 projects. It's definitely not a "must-have", but for several things it's simply the best (easiest, fastest, less-messy, etc.) way to do it. Here are a couple of examples: A year ago, I needed to replace the drain pipe from my kitchen sink to my basement (old odd-sized copper drain pipe that had corroded) - so I had to cut a hole in the back of the cabinet and wall that was large enough to make the plumbing connections, etc.; Earlier this year, I neeeded to move a HVAC register and wanted to be consistent with the others in the finished floor.; I also needed to make a small precise cut in AL siding. All of these jobs could be done with other tools, but they probably couldn't have been done more easily.

Good luck!
                        Bill

Comment

• BigguyZ
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2006
                          • Minneapolis, MN
                          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I've bought two HF units- and one Rockwell Sonicrafter. I like the latter best, I do think it is a better made tool. Also, with the adapter washer they include, I've been able to use any other brand's attachements.

For cheap blades, I've bought the Tool Shop kits that go on sale at Menards every once in a while.

Comment

• iceman61
                            • Oct 2007
                            • West TN
                            • Bosch 4100-09

I am a remodeling contractor by trade. A few years ago I purchased a HF multi-tool with the thought that if it worked out ok and if I saw a need for one, I would purchase a higher quality unit. We have use this unit on about 95% of our jobs and it has never given me the first minute of trouble, outside of the blades wearing out way too soon. I have found that the blades last longer if we take our time with a cut but in my line of work, time is money.

My older guys used to grab a jig saw to do a plunge cut, which is sketchy at best even in experienced hands. Now they are always grabbing the HF multi-tool for almost everything. If this one ever wears out, I may purchase a different brand but I can't wear this one out.

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

I bought one as a fluke just to try it out. It can do things no other tool can do as easily or cleanly. I had an installation where I had to take a section out of some base moulding. It was mounted on drywall. No way to cut it without making a mess. Can't hammer and chisel, and no saw would work. That little tool did the job quickly and cleanly.

Had another time when a microwave needed to be changed. There was mica on 3/4" plywood backsplash mounted on a block wall with stucco. The new microwave needed to sit 1/4" lower than the old one. The tool did the corner notch and cut the line 1/4" down.

Comment

Working...