X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Ryobi planer value?

If everything goes well, I should be in the market to get a Dewalt 735 by the end of the year. Perhaps by the end of summer.

To that end, I won't need my Ryobi AP1300. I bought it for $100, and I have since bought a dust chute and spare (still unused) blades for it. The cutterhead lock lever is broken, but the lock does work fine still. Cosmetically its not in the best shape (on one side, the plastic housing is loose as of two days ago) but it makes a wonderful cut.

When the time comes to put it for sale, what price should I be looking at? Should I aim for getting my money back, minus the chute and blades? More? I'd usually just go to the 50% rule, but this hasn't been available for a few years now.
    I have a little blog about my shop
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I see those come up on Craigs list every so often, with nothing broken, dust chute intact, and looking like they have only gotten very light use. Honestly looking better than my AP1301, and they have been going for $150.00. If yours has like you say a broken lever, and visible wear, you might want to ask $125.00 and be happy to take $100.00

I have to ask. Why not clean up, and fix the broken pieces on the AP1300 instead of upgrading to the Dewalt?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

I could certainly buy all the parts I needed to make it look brand new, and it's not outside the scope that I will. I view the Dewalt as an upgrade, with better chip ejection, an additional knife and lower operating noise.

I might find a better use of my $400-$500, but I'm fairly good on all my other tools. I'm certainly not displeased with it's performance though. Sprucing it up is very much an option, but **** is this thing loud.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Okay, admittedly it's loud. But have you used a 735? It's not exactly quiet? I don't own one, a neighbor down the street has one, and I can certainly tell when he is planing... He does his in the driveway...

Just something to think about... I'm not trying to discourage you from upgrading mind you, but if it works well, it might be premature to replace it is all...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Completely get where you're coming from. It's something to consider, I might enjoy it more if the superficial aspects of it are fixed. I could do a lot with the money, that's for sure.

I think the Ryobi is rated north of 100dB, and the Dewalt is in the 80-90 range. Still loud either way.

Comment

• conwaygolfer
            Established Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Conway, SC.
            • BT3000

I was in the market for the same DeWalt planer several years ago. I sold the old Ryobi and wanted to upgrade. Went to HD and saw the Ridgid planer and noticed the lifetime warranty for the original owner. The only difference was it did not have 2 speeds like the DeWalt. So for over a hundred less with a much better warranty, I bought the Ridgid. Its been good with no problems. You might want to compare the 2 and see which one fits you best.

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by conwaygolfer
              I was in the market for the same DeWalt planer several years ago. I sold the old Ryobi and wanted to upgrade. Went to HD and saw the Ridgid planer and noticed the lifetime warranty for the original owner. The only difference was it did not have 2 speeds like the DeWalt. So for over a hundred less with a much better warranty, I bought the Ridgid. Its been good with no problems. You might want to compare the 2 and see which one fits you best.

Conwaygolfer
              ridgid hand held and stationary power tools carry a 3 year warranty. they do not carry a lifetime warranty. original purchase tools are eligible for registration in the lifetime service agreement, but participation in that program is not automatic. here is the relevant information:

http://www.ridgid.com/tools/power-tool-warranty

just setting the record straight.
              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...