• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Bandsaw Riser Block question

I'm considering adding the 6in riser block to my Delta 28-276 14in bandsaw to get 12in cutting height (for resaw and milling), and would appreciate any input on the following -

1. Has anyone done so with this particular model saw, and if so, any recommendations for/against and/or lessons learned?

2. Woodslicer/Bladerunner vs. Timberwolf vs. Lenox Bi-Metal blades:
    - Which of these might excel at both milling and resaw?
    - If not, which one is best for each function?

Thanks.
    Bill in Buena Park
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

¾ HP isn't much of a power plant to be resawing with but it can be done. Resawing will be extremely slow going so patience will be needed to get the results you'll want. Any of the blades you mentioned would probably be OK just make sure you get one with a low tooth count, 3 or 4. You should also probably not run the saw with a blade wider than ½".

Comment

• Eric
      • Jun 2003
      • Cocolalla, ID
      • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I've got a riser block on that saw. Haven't done a lot of resawing with it, but like sweensdv said it's slow going. I've used 1/2" blades from SuperCut (local company) to resaw some cherry and western red cedar.

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
        I'm considering adding the 6in riser block to my Delta 28-276 14in bandsaw to get 12in cutting height (for resaw and milling), and would appreciate any input on the following -

1. Has anyone done so with this particular model saw, and if so, any recommendations for/against and/or lessons learned?

2. Woodslicer/Bladerunner vs. Timberwolf vs. Lenox Bi-Metal blades:
        - Which of these might excel at both milling and resaw?
        - If not, which one is best for each function?

Thanks.
        get a bi metal blade from iturra design. lou will help you settle on the best blade and is a great source for info on adding the riser block you are considering. don't waste your time or money on timberwolf blades.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Thanks for the input on the riser block and blades.

This may also belong in Bargain Alerts.

I bought my riser block at Rockler - now priced at $99. Grabbed a 5/8 Olson because I couldnt wait for Lenox, and with my Rockler 20% off coupon from the recent mailer, was out the door for $110.

Here's the mod'd saw, and the slabs of Olive my neighbor asked me to produce from the trunk segments he had (not sure which I'll get to keep, but around 1/2, all with some nice figure.)

Ran great until the wet wood started to gum up the side of the blade - so I stopped, cleaned the blade, and waxed - worked great again.
          Thanks for looking.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 02-06-2012, 08:31 PM.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

fun, did you build or buy a sled to help cut logs? I always though you needed one to help keep the rolly side of the log stable enough to make parallel cuts.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

Loring, I used the same sled I made a while back, shown here: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ight=log+resaw

But the limited width meant I needed to saw the log in half first, then continue slabbing off the remaining half, remount the other half, and slice it up too.

So I may need to make a wider sled to slab through an entire 12" segment without the hokey pokey described above.

On the second log, I cut in half, then quartered, and proceeded to QS via my fence through the quarters. Worked ok this way, but smaller slabs.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

Not to thread jack, but any idea if that Delta riser would fit a HF?
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2007
                  • Buena Park, CA
                  • CM 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                  Not to thread jack, but any idea if that Delta riser would fit a HF?
                  I have to defer to Dave (DBHOST) on that - think he did something like that to his HF BS.
                  Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

BTW, I love those extensions. Your design?
                    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Just a note that you will probably lose about 1" of your 14" cutting capacity. While you will gain in re-saw height, you loose about 1 inch of blade to frame due to the size of the Riser. I have not heard of anyone complaining about this before and was excited about my 14 inch Grizzly and riser kit. I noticed quickly the slight take-away.

This happens because the base is less than 14 inches from the blade but the upper part that mounts onto the base curves back about 1 inch giving the cutting distance 14 inches at table height. However, the riser black is the size of the base all the way up (of course) but this extra size is now above the table height, cutting out 1 inch of space between the frame and blade.

I "think" the Delta does the same as many other models in this manner. I could be wrong, as I have on other things.

Not that much of a deal but just to let you know in advance.
                      Last edited by leehljp; 02-06-2012, 09:25 PM.
                      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                        BTW, I love those extensions. Your design?
                        Thanks, yes - the rails holding up the tables are slotted so I can mount a fence.

Original post here: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ht=bandsaw+mod
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2007
                          • Buena Park, CA
                          • CM 21829

Originally posted by leehljp
                          Just a note that you will probably lose about 1" of your 14" cutting capacity. While you will gain in re-saw height, you loose about 1 inch of blade to frame due to the size of the Riser. I have not heard of anyone complaining about this before and was excited about my 14 inch Grizzly and riser kit. I noticed quickly the slight take-away.

This happens because the base is less than 14 inches from the blade but the upper part that mounts onto the base curves back about 1 inch giving the cutting distance 14 inches at table height. However, the riser black is the size of the base all the way up (of course) but this extra size is now above the table height, cutting out 1 inch of space between the frame and blade.

I "think" the Delta does the same as many other models in this manner. I could be wrong, as I have on other things.

Not that much of a deal but just to let you know in advance.
                          True for the Delta. If you notice the table closest to the riser, I had to notch it to fit.
                          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• toolguy1000
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • westchester cnty, ny

oops, didn't see the follow up post on the fence!
                            Last edited by toolguy1000; 02-07-2012, 10:26 AM.
                            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• tommyt654
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2008

Hey Bill, I have that same bandsaw , just not on a riser and I have found these guys have a better blade than anyone else I have used for resawing at a very good price, problem is ya have to buy 5, No big deal IMO,but they have the P-306 in 5 different configurations that'll run you about $68 shipped and I primarliy use the 4S when resawing on my saw they also have a 3/4 (P-307) inch you might want to try, but like sween said the 3/4 h.p. slows it way down and the 3/4 inch needs more umph to get thru tough hardwoods.While I agree Iturra knows a lot about bandsaws his blades did not impress me nor the woodslicer compared to these on a cost vs reliablity and cut basis. I use my 3/4 inch resaw king to cut sometimes but its slow going with the 3/4 h.p. motor(upgrade coming) and these 1/2 inch work great from these guys, http://www.woodcraftbands.com/Pricing%20page.htm , buy all 5 and be done for a while

Comment

Working...