• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

steve gass on national public radio

i just heard gass on NPR discussing the (all too well known here) safety technology of his TSs. i was struck by the 1) really great way gass has in responding to an interview. this guy is both sharp and slick. 2) lack of real understanding of the nature of the problem by the interviewer and 3) the (in this case) one sided presentation of the issue by NPR. where was the opposing POV? there was even a "safety expert" there to attest to the "wonderfulness" of the sawstops, but no opposing POVs. any mention of the other TS manufacturers was decidedly negative for their reluctance to adopt gass's technology.

i don't want to start an anti-sawstop rant here. it's just that this recent presentation by NPR just seemed so very disingenuous .
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I don't like Volvos all that much... And I think you are required to drive a Volvo to listen to NPR aren't you?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I love NPR, don't have a Volvo nor ever an urge to get one.

What show was it on?
      A few of the similar segements I've heard seemed a little one sided to me too. Just look at how NPR is presenting it on Dec 29th: "Somewhere, somebody in America got a table saw for Christmas. And they've had time by now to risk a few injuries cutting wood. Every year, thousands of Americans suffer severe injuries using those saws, which are quite practical, but also hazardous. And now, after a series of reports by NPR, the saws have become a target for federal regulators. They've begun crafting new safety rules. NPR's Chris Arnold reported that series, and now has an update"
      http://www.npr.org/2011/12/29/144417...for-table-saws
      Last edited by pelligrini; 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM.
      Erik

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

Love Volvos. Don't listen to NPR.

I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by pelligrini

What show was it on?
          Must be a regional thing... It seems like you see NPR stickers slapped on old Volvos, particularly 240 series wagons... Never figured out the appeal...

I totally get PBS, but NPR evades me. Every time I have turned it on, there was some monotone announcer just babbling away... Kind of like I turned on the "Sounds of the Mausoleum" soundtrack... Or a rebroadcast of BBC Radio news... That's not too shabby...

Has the quality of programming improved over the years?
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by CocheseUGA

Okay the 1800 was a freak of Sweden... The Volvo owning types I was talking about...

I hate to admit it, but I actually OWNED a Volvo at one time. A School Bus Yellow 1971 Volvo 144 Sedan. Most bland car I have ever driven...

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by CocheseUGA

Now THAT is one of the sweetest cars in the world... back in 1966 I was really drooling over a beautiful red, P1800S and had about a third of the cash to make the purchase. (IIRC, it was right around $3600 as that particular one sat in the local show room.)

I had started out loving the "544", but missed out when it was dropped in 1965... but the P1800S was positively something to set my sights on!

But then I met this cute little girl named Patty and the P1800S just sort of lost it's luster and there went my designs. Patty has worked out real well for me, but of course that doesn't completely chase away those old feelings of having that P1800!

I'm a big NPR fan and there's absolutely nothing better to listen too or catch the news from... but, even they get caught up in some one-sided journalism. Like with everything... you need to listen to a couple of sources.

"Balance Danial San, Balance" (apologies to Mr. Miyagi)

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by pelligrini

What show was it on?
                A few of the similar segements I've heard seemed a little one sided to me too. Just look at how NPR is presenting it on Dec 29th: "Somewhere, somebody in America got a table saw for Christmas. And they've had time by now to risk a few injuries cutting wood. Every year, thousands of Americans suffer severe injuries using those saws, which are quite practical, but also hazardous. And now, after a series of reports by NPR, the saws have become a target for federal regulators. They've begun crafting new safety rules. NPR's Chris Arnold reported that series, and now has an update"
                http://www.npr.org/2011/12/29/144417...for-table-saws

leonard lopate
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2009
                  • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by dbhost
                  I don't like Volvos all that much... And I think you are required to drive a Volvo to listen to NPR aren't you?
                  actually, you can drive anything at all. i listen just to see what the enemy is up to.

Comment

• pelligrini
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2007
                    • Fort Worth, TX
                    • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                    leonard lopate
                    OK, I don't think we get that one on KERA here.

Looks like they have the show online:
                    http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/201...ting-injuries/

Hehe, didn't know Gass' invention made it "nearly impossible to be seriously injured by a table saw"... I haven't listened to the segment yet, but I guess they didn't talk much about kickback.
                    Erik

Comment

• HauntedBranch
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

If you are looking for day-in-day-out, solid, unbiased coverage of the news, I personally don't think you can do better than NPR. Regarding the SawStop story, it does appear to be one-sided. Fortunately, you can comment on this and all other stories from their website. Once a week they present such criticism. Guess I will have to take my NPR sticker from my pickup since it isn't a Volvo.

Phil

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

I just listened to the show, there was more information presented in it than many other articles and short radio segments I have heard, but it was still seriously lacking. A couple of the callers brought up good points, but the host, Gass and the safety gal just answered it from their side.

I'd still like to see a study and discussion about the last CSPC change for tablesaws to include a riving knife. Mrs. Rossol said guards were always immediatly removed. Wasn't the riving knife standard implimented mostly to decrease that? Was the new standards ineffective, or doesn't anyone really know yet.
                        Erik

Comment

• vaking
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2005
                          • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100-1

Let's face it - Gass is not an average Joe. He is a lawyer with PHD in physics. Further more - he is not just a lawyer, he is a patent attorney.
                          He invented the sawstop technology - safety device that retracts the blade. As someone who studied physics once and then became a mechanical engineer I can attest that his invention is very clever and well executed. As a patent attorney Gass surely knew how to register it so it would be very difficult to get around his patent. There is also a clear use for his invention. I don't think that every table saw has to have a sawstop, but I would say that any table saw installed in a place where they teach woodworking needs it. In fact - I would dare say any professional woodworker should consider it for his shop. It is a good insurance against cut fingers for a one-time fee of less than $1000.
                          Knowing that he has a very valuable patent and all professional woodworkers would want it - he now has a very good hand. He is willing to allow other saw manufacturers to use his patent but royalties are very steep. Manufacturers had refused to pay such royalties, so Gass opened his own company and now saw manufacturers are facing tough competition.
                          They are trying to make a similar safety device without paying royalties but lets face it - their solution is far inferior.
                          Steve Gass also knows how to manipulate public opinion. He creates a lot of publicity about his invention and "educates" the public that nobody should be buying a table saw now that does not have a sawstop on it. I don't know if his attempts to create a law requiring sawstop everywhere will work, but it is not really important. I do believe that all big saw manufacturers are feeling the heat and are desperately looking for a solution. I think that in 5-10 years the landcape will change very seriously. Gass is holding all major manufacturer's hostage with his invention.
                          Alex V

Comment

• toolguy1000
                            Veteran Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • westchester cnty, ny

do patents have a shelf life and at some point expire?

Comment

• cabinetman
                              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                              • Jun 2006
                              • So. Florida
                              • Delta

Things must be real slow to have another thread on the SS. Can't blame Gass for wanting to make money. He came up with the idea, and put it into use...good for him.

All the complainers are yelping about the money. Lets interview the geniuses that stuck their fingers into a running blade and ask why they took off the devices that came with their saw.

I might listen to NPR if they took Blue Collar Comedy off the air.

Comment

Working...