• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

Information on Rikon's 10" Contractor's Saw

I'm thinking of tradind up from my BT100, (more to come of this if I pull thetrigger on the Rikon.

From first looks, the Rikon seems to have what I want and the price is right.
    I own a Rikon 14" deluxe band saw and am extremely happy with it, even more so since I installed a set of Carter micro adjust roller bearings.

Since I've had such a good experience with the BS, I'm moved to seriously considering the 10" table saw.

If anyone has or knows anything about this saw, I would be very happy hearing from them.

As to the retirement of the 3100, I guess I'll put it up for sale complete. It has long rails, a table for those rails, micro fence adjuster, long miter arm, router kit and a quick release folding out-put table, Shark guard, which I built.
    Along with the 3100, I have a ton of parts (inc motor) scavenged form a 3000, that was in great shape. So, basically, it ends up being two saws.
    Before the entire works go into the classifieds, I need to decide on a new TS. Preferential pricing for anyone helping me out with info on the Rikon.

Thanks in advance, and I do value your comments.
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I don't know much about the Rikon, other than that it's available from Woodcraft ($900) and Northern Tool ($890), but it bears a striking resemblance to the Steel City 35990C that's available several places including Lowes ($727) and HD ($877).

It also appears to sport the same fence that was with the former Ridgid R4511. Note that the Steel City is available with granite (35990G), cast iron w/cast iron wings (35990C), and cast iron with steel wings (35990CS)...at varying prices.

(no charge!)
    Last edited by Knottscott; 01-09-2012, 11:10 AM.
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• tommyt654
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2008

Ya beat me too it, Save the additional 10% off coupon at Lowes with the movers packet from the P.O. or try the H.F. coupon at Home Depot, either way its the same saw,just a different color scheme and markings, , http://www.lowes.com/pd_230123-26463...saw&facetInfo=

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

ha ha, Steel City and Rikon, separated at birth...
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          ha ha, Steel City and Rikon, separated at birth...
          Loring,
          I don't get it. Is that good or bad or indifferent?
          Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
            Loring,
            I don't get it. Is that good or bad or indifferent?
            Bruce
            just indifferent - amusement at being twins brought up in separate families.

They both look like very nice saws. I'm a bit jealous, actually.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• parnelli
              • Aug 2004
              • bt3100

Originally posted by Knottscott
              I don't know much about the Rikon, other than that it's available from Woodcraft ($900) and Northern Tool ($890), but it bears a striking resemblance to the Steel City 35990C that's available several places including Lowes ($727) and HD ($877).
              FWIW- when I follow that lowes link, it shows even cheaper for me.... $676.14

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

that saw, in the SCT version, supposedly has no table top extension seams in the granite version. i believe they are situated at the bottom of the miter slots. not sure about the CI vesion. if true, that's pretty innovative.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• BigguyZ
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2006
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

Originally posted by parnelli
                  FWIW- when I follow that lowes link, it shows even cheaper for me.... $676.14
                  Well for me it's $789.... different markets, I guess...

At $676, with a 10% or HF coupon, I'd really have to think about getting that...

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by toolguy1000
                    that saw, in the SCT version, supposedly has no table top extension seams in the granite version. i believe they are situated at the bottom of the miter slots. not sure about the CI vesion. if true, that's pretty innovative.
                    Now that you mention it, I've read that too, and believe it to be true from what I recall. I also forgot to mention that they have cabinet mounted trunnions.

I suspect the fences will be the weak link on these saws...functional, but the two piece rail is less desirable than a once piece....I've read of R4511 owners adding face material to the fence tube, and others adding a one piece front rail using steel tube stock.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...