Clear All
  • crybdr
    Established Member
    • Dec 2009
    • Lake Mills, WI
    • Ryobi BT3100

Looking for a Router SYSTEM...

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new router. I have a Hitachi M12V in my router table and an old B&D fixed base with a 1/4" collet.

I'm looking for a good router system (plunge or fixed, 1/4 - 1/2" collet capacity, and most importantly - a well thought out bushing guide solution).

I intend to use this router to cut liquid 'gutters' into the surfaces of my cutting boards with a template (hence the need for a good bushing guide system - the Vermont American bushing guide kit I purchased years ago won't fit the B&D and seems 'clunky'). I'll probably need to plunge, but am open to fixed.

Thanks for any suggestions you can provide - a 'kit' with all the accessories would be ideal.
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

How much are you looking to spend? If money is a big factor then you might want to take a drive over to Menards and check out this combo kit. I have no personal experience with this router but for $99 you'll get both a plunge and fixed base along with some other goodies. If money isn't the main deciding factor then you can't go wrong with the Bosch 1618EVSK.

Comment

• crybdr
      Established Member
      • Dec 2009
      • Lake Mills, WI
      • Ryobi BT3100

Money isn't a big factor - willing to pay for an excellent solution.

The Bosch looks nice - anyone have experience or recommendations for a bushing guide set to go along with it?

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

My Bosch 1617 kit came with a bushing kit. The bayonet=style buxhings are made from a fairly cheap matal material, but do the job. One of the components of the kit is an adapter that allows you to use standard PC-compliant bushings, nice examples of which can be found at all the usual places - Rockler, Woodcraft, MLCS, etc.

JR
        JR

Comment

• cork58
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006
          • Wasilla, AK, USA.
          • BT3000

Take a good look at the Bosch RA1100 adapter. It really works good and changing guides is a snap. (pun intended) I have the 1617EVS and it is a great match up for what you want to do but not cheap.
          Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• crybdr
            Established Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Lake Mills, WI
            • Ryobi BT3100

I'm assuming that 'PC-compliant' means Porter-Cable?

I know nothing about guide bushings......

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

You can, of course, just buy a Porter Cable router kit. Here's a link to their current system, similar to the Bosch:

http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-8...4001123&sr=1-6

I use the older 690 series. I have two motors and 4 bases so I am unlikely to switch. But the newer 890 series, or the Bosch, would be better. Only reason to get the 690 at this point is lower price or if you already have bases.

Most reviews rate the Bosch a notch above the PC but guide bushings is not the strong suit of the Bosch - but with an adapter it will be fine.

Several reviews I've seen say you can go seriously wrong with any of the name brand router kits. Milwaukee has one work considering too. You should probably go to one of the big box stores and handle several to see which you like best.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

I kind of like the Bosch 1617EVS's quick bayonet guide bushings system. And there are adapters if you want to use the PC-style bushings which are everywhere. ANd of course the 1617EVS is a great router.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwphoto
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2011

Originally posted by cork58
                  Take a good look at the Bosch RA1100 adapter. It really works good and changing guides is a snap. (pun intended) I have the 1617EVS and it is a great match up for what you want to do but not cheap.
                  if I'm not mistaken the RA1100 adapter requires an adapter to work. Yeap! I ordered one off of Amazon and it did not fit my 1617EVS, and then I started reading the reviews on Amazon, and several people mentioned an adapter is needed for the adapter. Seem kind of silly. Rockler sells a universal base that would probably be easier to deal with.

I also find that getting the router itself in an out of the base is very frustrating. I am careful to align the arrows, and sometimes the router just drops in and turns, and other times I have to wrestle it like crazy to get it to engage into the slots. I have added additional lubrication to it, etc. and so far not very impressed with this router. It does seem to have plenty of power however, although I have not really pushed it either. Lots of people talk about problems with the switch, but mine is too new to comment.

Troy

Comment

• pecker
                    Established Member
                    • Jun 2003

The Dewalt 618 kit comes with fixed and plunge bases, as well as an extra baseplate which is cut for the 1-3/16" Porter Cable style guide bushings. It also has a rod and cone which help to get the baseplate exactly centered on the collet.
                    http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618PK...4042325&sr=8-2

If you get some new guide bushings, be sure to get the short ones which can be used with 1/4" thick templates.

http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3117...4042604&sr=8-1

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

did you see this recent poll - router popularity by brand (not model).

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...avorite+router
                      Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-18-2011, 12:06 AM.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• vaking
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2005
                        • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                        • Ryobi BT3100-1

Several people here have and are happy with Hitachi kit KM12VC. It is the quitest router in its class and it accepts all Porter-Cable type accesories, such as bushings, edge guides, etc.
                        Kit includes plunge and fixed bases as well as set of bushings.
                        Alex V

Comment

Working...