• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

What's that red stuff on my workpieces?

So I was making the legs for my Christmas tree stand last night, having taken the stack of blanks and set them up with carpet tape, run them through the bandsaw (which worked flawlessly even though I used the wrong blade), and then off to the Ridgid sander to clean up the cuts. Next was to release the blanks from the carpet tape... Now I don't recall those red spots being on the wood, and why would SYP have red spots?

Then it hit me...

I managed to get the block caught, and spun around which shoved my fingertips into the sanding belt on the oscillating sander... Yep, I sanded my fingertips down and was bleeding a little bit...

I knew I had my fingers too close, but wasn't worried about it because "it's just a sander, they are safe...". And while no serious harm was done, it was enough to give me a very solid reminder, don't EVER slack off on safety procedures...

So how do you clean blood off of pine?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Same way you applied it. With a sander. There aren't many things in a typical shop that won't get you one way or another. Perhaps cotton balls........ scratch that. You could accidentally swallow one of those.

I have done the same many times. Knuckles are worse than finger pads though. I remember in a furniture factory I worked at, people would use 9" sanding drums to sand parts with. While they were learning, many of them had some terrible looking sanding rash. Often to the bone.
    Lee

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • On the TARDIS
      • BT 3100

No fingerprints left? Now might be your chance to cause mayhem!
      From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• cabinetman
        Gone but not Forgotten RIP
        • Jun 2006
        • So. Florida
        • Delta

Originally posted by dbhost
        So how do you clean blood off of pine?
        If you're feeling weak, and turning pale, and the blood pattern is pretty large, at that moment, I wouldn't be too concerned about cleaning it up. But if it's a little bit, sanding may do it, or some diluted bleach may be needed.

Comment

• wardprobst
          • Jan 2006
          • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
          • Craftsman 22811

I'd use wood bleach to clean it up. Sorry you had that experience, happens in our shop occasionally when we are making small parts, so I know how it feels.
          DP
          www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
            Veteran Member
            • May 2003
            • Nanuet, NY, USA.
            • BT3100

The Dark Side

Whenever I destroy a body part while woodworking, I make sure that I'm working with DARK wood.
            Cutting off that piece of my pinkie, didn't ruin the wood it was walnut. That's the best I can say about that screw-up

Bruce
            "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
            Samuel Colt did"

Comment

Working...