Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Impact Driver Recc

Hi all,

My son would like an 18v impact driver for his birthday. He's specifically asked for the Dewalt driver. However, it's quite expensive compared to the Rigid kit. While I was at the BORG yesterday, I noticed that the Milwaukee kit is about $20 less than the Rigid. All three kits are the driver, one lithium battery, charger, and case.

I'm thinking he has a case of Tool Snobbery, or maybe he's afraid the big kids will make fun if he doesn't have the yellow tools. (Personally, I'd go with the Ryobi, but I have a big investment in tools and batteries already.)

So, my question is: Is the Dewalt tool really that much better quality than the others to warrant the almost $100 bump in price? How do the other two stack up as far as quality, durability, etc.? Right now I'm leaning toward the Milwaukee (even though the Cards are playing the Brewers tonight) because of their reputation as a quality tool. Doesn't hurt that the price is lower, too.

g.
    Last edited by gsmittle; 10-09-2011, 10:54 AM. Reason: clarity
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by gsmittle
    Is the Dewalt tool really that much better quality than the others to warrant the almost $100 bump in price? ...... g.
    no. the ridgid would be my choice. all 6 impact drivers my sons and i have are great performers. couple the performance with the lifetime service agreement (free parts, batteries and labor for life with registration of qualifying tools into the program) and i don't understand why anyone would buy anything else. after 3 years, equiment and battery problems are the tool owner's with dewalt. i like to buy my tools once and not have to spend on them ever again. just my $.02.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

I can't comment on those brands as mine is a PC. But, Brands and such to kids today are evident even in clothing. You know, they have to have the "right" sneakers, the "right" jeans. Why should tools be any different. I would think if he has his mind made up on yellow, no other brand will do.

I'm a fan of PC tools, and have many. I do have a thumbs up for some Ryobi tools that I'm using instead of PC. Really, both brands, but I reach for the Ryobi. One is the small trim router, and the other is a ROS. Both I think are as good, and maybe better in some respects than their PC equivalents.

Comment

• frumper64
        Established Member
        • Feb 2004
        • Garland, Tx, USA.

I tried the Milwaukee 18v driver and loved it, but the charger left a lot to be desired. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it ended up with my taking the kit back to the Borg. They use a slide in battery and the problem was getting the battery to make consistent contact with the charger. If bumped at all, the battery would move just enough to keep it from charging until you took it off the charger and re-inserted it. Not a problem home in the garage, but a real issue on a work site. I ended up with the Dewalt set instead and have been pretty happy with it. I got the NiCad set instead of the LiOn one, mainly due to the cost of replacement batteries.
        Jim
        64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

I don't agree with you on this case Mike, the kid is obviously different from todays "kids" as is evident by the case of wanting/needing a tool! G, I picked up a Makita 18v and was very pleased with it. Very powerful and batteries last long time with no fade out noticed. I even used the drill to mix drywall mud a few times...
          I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

I use Ryobi 18V and I have the impact driver. It works well. My last serious use was to sink two 1/4 inch lag bolts about 3 inches into old dry pressure treated. My son likes "better" brands too and has a 18V Makita and a higher voltage, I think it's 24V Milwaukee. He really likes them both. I don't see the difference.

I'd ask him why he wants the DeWalt. If he says essentially he doesn't know I'd probably get the Rigid. Free batteries is a big benefit. They go bad.

Jim

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

IF I could afford it, I would go ahead and get the DeWalt. It might pinch the pocket book and I usually make sure my girls knew that extra expense items were part of a birthday/christmas present.

The reason that I would, if I could at all afford the higher price is because it IS a tool that will last, (as will the others) and if anything goes wrong with one of the other brands or even if it operates just fine, he will always be comparing it to what the DW could have been. And besides, He will remember for a long time what you did for him. Don't rub it in but let him know that it cost more than was comfortable but he (you son) is worth it.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2005
                • Independence, MO, USA.
                • bt3100

Does he already have some Dewalt stuff? Could it be either home or work and the batteries interchange idea?
                She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Kristofor
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2004
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Yep, Randal's hit on what would be the biggie for me... While I do have a mix of different branded cordless tools (for a few reasons, but mostly due to heavy discounting), if I had it to do over again, I'd pay more to have a single brand and model of battery.

If cost is the limiting factor, why not pick up a gift card for the amount of the model you could afford. Then he could either buy that or apply it toward the cost of the more expensive model.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                    Does he already have some Dewalt stuff? Could it be either home or work and the batteries interchange idea?
                    That was my thought...
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• unknown poster
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006

I have the Rigid 18v drill and impact. I like it and I think it works well, although I don't have another 18v impact to compare it to. It doesn't feel as solid and well put together as my Bosch, but the Bosch is a 10.8v kit and sometimes doesn't have enough power for a big job. The Rigid is usually my go to because it's always sitting on the shelf while the Bosch is usually in a toolbox.

HD usually stocks a Rigid drill/impact kit for christmas and they clearance it out in Jan/Feb. I picked mine up two years ago when they did this.

Comment

• gsmittle
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2004
                        • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                        • BT 3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                        He's just starting to get his tools together, so he doesn't have the multiple battery issue.

He's in college right now, studying to be a theatrical designer and working every day in the scene shop. He'll be building a TON of scenery when he graduates. My suspicion is they use DeWalt in the shop, so that's what he's familiar with. Doesn't stop him from using my Ryobis when he's home, though.

I did mention the Rigid and he's OK with that. I didn't know about the free replacement batteries, so that may work in his favor. He's been with me when I paid for two Ryobi Li batteries to replace NiCads, so he knows that's a major expense, especially for a guy just starting out.

Haven't pulled the trigger on any of them yet. Time will tell…

g.
                        Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                        Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...