• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lonnie in Orlando
    • May 2003
    • Orlando, FL, USA.
    • BT3000

A tip of the hat to Harbor Freight

I know, I know ... Harbor Freight tools aren't known as the finest quality available. But I don't think any of the "big boys" can match their customer service.

I ordered a fan for my compressor and some spare switches for my drill press on Monday. They arrived today, Saturday. And the price can't be beat:

$1.00 fan
    $5.76 two power switches for drill press @ $2.88 ea.
    $2.31 light switch for drill press
    $0.59 tax
    $1.99 freight (yep, that's right: $1.99)

$11.65 Total

OK, I admit - I wouldn't have needed a replacement fan if I had an Ingersoll Rand compressor; and I wouldn't need spare switches if I had a PowerMatic drill press! But I still tip my hat to HF customer service.

- Lonnie
    OLD STUFF ... houses, furniture, cars, wine ... I love it all
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I've always had good experiences with their customer service and exchanges.

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I'm probably the only one on this site who has had a problem with the HF 34706 lathe. To the credit of HF - they switched machines with me without even checking out my complaint. They simply took my word that the motor was overheating and gave me a new machine. HF made everything painless.

And no problems with the new machine. Thanks HF !
      Richard

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Don't be so sure about that. I have had some smaller IR compressors that crapped out on me in far less time than my HF compressor has... FWIW, My HF compressor is my first compressor used for woodworking. I used my prior compressors for auto repair work. One was an oil lubed Ingersoll Rand 30 gallon that died in a year and a half, my other compressor was a small, if I recall a 10 gallon Craftsman oilless compressor that I got at a yard sale...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

As an ex-Ingersoll-Rand employee, let me tell you that if your compressor was younger than 20 years old, it was probably made in India or perhaps even assembled in Mexico.

We used to make Type 30's (as used in most auto-service garages of the time) in Painted Post and also in Campbellsville, Ky but that sort of all went away in 1982 (at Painted Post) and I believe at Campbellsville over the following ten years.

Even in the mid-70's their smaller units (Type 30's are two and three cylinder) were being made in Italy and elsewhere. Most of the recall units (about ten years ago) were from poor welding's done in Italy. (The 1975 twin-tank electric "wheelbarrel" unit that I had was part of that recall.)

Today, Ingersoll-Rand makes very few products here in the U.S., as far as I know.

My local TSC (Tractor Supply) carries I-R compressors at some very nice prices, but I'm disappointed to see they are all "India" imports.

Regarding HF, we had a new store open locally (Vestal, NY). Great bargains on some things and the service is outstanding. Like with most things, you have to know what you're buying and not expect more of it. There are some nice surprises and a couple of disappointments, but with the latter there's never a problem with any return.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• RAFlorida
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2008
            • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
            • Ryobi BT3000

viva la Harbor Freight.

I'm a cheap skate, and bought many things at Harbor Freight. Of which ALL are still working, (knock on wood).

Comment

Working...