• Show
Clear All
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

Delta/Milwaukee table saw

Father in law was having trouble with his 1956 Sears table saw. Burning wood, very hard to feed and pinching between blade and fence. He thought for sure it was the bearings in the arbor. Loaded it up and brought to my shop. Arbor good, alingments off maybe 0.10. Adjusted entire saw and the rip fence. Cutting like it was new. Took to his shop and reset it. Just as a final I did another test rip. Smoke! After much ado found the rubber oil ring in the end of the clamp on rip fence had over time flattened out an would turn. Therefore the works no works. Installed a rubber gasket thicker than the orginal and worked like new.

Now he says to take the OLD saw and see if I can get it to work like the NEW one. He's 87 so I guess 1956 isn't old to him. We drag out this Delta saw that must weight in at 125 lbs. I took the top off and it must weight in at 75 lbs by its self. Got it moved to my shop, put it together and couldn't find anything wrong with it! I called him and ask what was supposed to be wrong with it. Nothing, its old and since I got his new saw working he didn't want it taking up room in his shop, afterall I have more room than him!

I ran the serial number on it. I have a table saw that is older than I am (BY A YEAR), its a 1947 model 34-307. Can't find the one thing it came with, the blade guard. If anyone could lead me in the right direction I'd be in you debt. With that I would have a complete as sold saw.
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You might check out:
    http://www.leestyron.com/

Comment

• cork58
      Established Member
      • Jan 2006
      • Wasilla, AK, USA.
      • BT3000

Thanks cab man but I really want the guard it came with, it is something to complete the orginal saw. I know there is better stuff out there and I do use the Shark on my other BT3000's. Just would like to have the guard it came with. Its having something of my father in laws that is important to me. He bought it new as well. Think about a saw from 1947 and all the things he made with it. In 1947 the ALCAN wasn't finished, it had to come by steamship!
      Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• toolguy1000
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2009
        • westchester cnty, ny

try this site:

http://vintagemachinery.org/

participants there focus on old WW machinery. someone there can probably point you in the right direction.

and what is the ALCAN that had to come by steamship?
        Last edited by toolguy1000; 08-31-2011, 10:10 AM.
        there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by toolguy1000
          and what is the ALCAN that had to come by steamship?
          The Alaskan-Canadian highway.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alaska_Highway

Wiki says it was finished in 1942, however, so a 1947 saw could have been trucked in (assuming the Wiki is correct).

The ALCAN was constructed as part of the war effort, so it certainly was completed before the end of the war.
          Last edited by woodturner; 08-31-2011, 08:33 AM.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

ALaska-CANada was the first road connecting Alaska to the lower states.
            Before that, any large, heavy items had to go to Alaska by steamship, there were no roads, no trains.
            just to make it clear.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• kramer katt
              Established Member
              • Aug 2004
              • SO CAL, USA
              • BT3100 and Craftsman 100

delta milwaukee

try the website OWWM.org
              they have a members buy/sell/want forum SWARF
              parts for these also come up frequently on Ebay
              Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

owwm.org is now vintagemachinery.org.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...