• Show
Clear All
  • schloff
    Established Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Southern Middle TN
    • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

blade sharpening

Where do y'all take your circular blades for sharpening? I have 4 or more carbide tipped blades that need serious attention. Maybe a couple steel blades, too. Nothing real expensive, wondering if I should just buy a new blade or sharpen what I already have and not scrap them. Most of them have performed very well.

I don't like throwing anything away if I can make it usable again, but I don't want to sink a bunch of money in polishing a turd, either.

I was ripping some poplar last weekend, and the poor saw (PM 64) was really straining. It's way too nice of a saw to treat it that way. It deserves more loving than that.

Any input? Co-Op maybe? Woodcraft?

Thanks.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

I have several local saw services in my area that are well equipped to sharpen, and repair carbide blades, router bits, and steel blades. They usually have a one week or less turn around. They also do handsaws. Check your locale. I don't know if Woodcraft or Rockler offer those services. They might be able to recommend a service. Or, call a local cabinet shop and ask where they take theirs.

I've never used a service that requires me to send the blades out. Shipping both ways might be steep.

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Other places to check would be local lumber yards(not big box stores) and hardware stores. Many of those places act as a drop off and pick-up locations for sharpening services.

Comment

• treetopguy2028
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2006
        • Mountain View, Arkansas
        • Three makes of band saws

Circular saw blade sharpeners

A close friend and very detailed cabinetmaker recommends Ballew Saw in Springfield, MO. They have a web site. I have read that the waste from sharpening carbide is carcinogenic. Hope this helps!

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

When I was in college, I worked at a couple of Ace Hardware locations around here. The stores I worked in had contracts with the local sharpening services and we would collect the blades, send them in, and get them back in about a week or so... Honestly I have never used them myself though. I am getting to the point I think I need to send my 40T, and my OEM 36T blades to get sharpened though....
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• pecker
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003

This place has a good rep. For cheap blades it's not really worth it, considering shipping costs to and from:

http://www.dynamic-saw-blade-sharpen...pricelist.html

Comment

• Sawatzky
              Established Member
              • Apr 2005
              • CA
              • Ridgid TS3650

You could always send it to Forrest. They sharpen any blade.

Comment

• schloff
                Established Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Southern Middle TN
                • Powermatic 64 (BT3000 RIP)

Thanks. I will start with my local lumberyards. I didn't think about them. I have 3 to talk to, and are all top notch in every service they offer.

If I end up not getting anywhere, I'll use a mail service.

Thanks again.

Comment

• John Fox
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jan 2010

Blade sharpening

http://www.youtube.com/user/stevinma...10/m8aUHM-zYtA

check out this method at 5:40

Comment

• Knottscott
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2004
                    • Rochester, NY.
                    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

If the blades are high quality, I'd consider sending them to Scott Whiting in Glendale AZ, Ridge Carbide, Forrest, or Dynamic Saw....I think Holbren might even have an arrangement with a sharpening service.

If they're not good blades, I'd wouldn't bother with sharpening and would look to replace them with one of these if you can score one without people bidding the price up...Onsrud blades on Ebay.
                    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...