• Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Need ideas on how to replace DC bag with a drum

I want to stop using plastic bags on my DC and switch to a plastic drum. I
    already cut the top off a plastic drum that fits underneath my HF DC. The
    diameter of the barrel is close to that of the DC ring but there's a 4" gap
    between the drum and ring.

I'm looking for ideas to bridge that gap and not have dust flying out.

Thanks,
    Paul
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Duct tape.

HTH,
    JR

JR

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

Is the drum larger than the ring? Or, the other way around? If the drum is smaller, could you cut a circular spacer out of plywood & attach that to the top of the drum? Seal the joint between the spacer & drum with silicone and then tighten the ring on the DC around the spacer.

Comment

• Eric
        • Jun 2003
        • Cocolalla, ID
        • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Or you could make a Thein Separator and have the drum beside the DC and then have the DC exhaust to the plastic bag. You wouldn't have to empty the plastic bag very often because the separator would catch most of the dust, and you wouldn't have to worry about trying to get the barrel to mate with spacer.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jking
          Is the drum larger than the ring? Or, the other way around? If the drum is smaller, could you cut a circular spacer out of plywood & attach that to the top of the drum? Seal the joint between the spacer & drum with silicone and then tighten the ring on the DC around the spacer.
          The drum is smaller than the ring. I'll look into this solution. I was originally
          going to cut the bag shorter and attach the top to the ring as normal and
          slip the bottom sleever over the drum and tighten it with an extra strap I
          have. Only problem is the dust would hang up on the top lip of the drum.

Originally posted by Eric
          Or you could make a Thein Separator and have the drum beside the DC and then have the DC exhaust to the plastic bag. You wouldn't have to empty the plastic bag very often because the separator would catch most of the dust, and you wouldn't have to worry about trying to get the barrel to mate with spacer.
          Ultimately that's my goal. I put a Thein separator in the DC ring more so the fines
          don't go up to the Wynn filter. Right now, there's not enough floor space to
          have a separate can without doing a major mod to the whole setup.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

It sounds like you have it more or less solved. A little dust hanging out on the top lip of the drum is no big deal. I would be concerned however that your narrower drum may interfere with the operation of the baffle...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...