Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

ridgid wood lathe wl1200

i have been looking at one of these on CL:

http://www.ridgid.com/ASSETS/CBF0946..._Lathe_Man.pdf

i don;t know anythng about lathes yet, but it's the last significant tool i don't yet have. anyone here have one who would care to render an opinion as to it's usefullness for turning table legs and other types of spindles? it is set up but reportedly unused. comes with 2 ssets of chisels and a ridgid mobile base. seller is asking $300, but i see it going for somewhere between $200 and $300. it is, again reportedly, complete with a leg set as shown in the manual.

i do realize that the minimum speed for the motor is felt by some to be too fast for handling large, irregularly shaped material. is the 1/2hp TEFC induction motor conducive with a rheostat to regulate speed? if yes, has anyone tried it and what were the results? if no, is it because induction motors' speed cannot be regulated by a rheostat? info appreciated.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • Whaler
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Sequim, WA, USA.
    • DW746

It would make a great boat anchor.
    #1-- !/2 HP is not enough, Ok for a mini
    #2-- 3/4 x 16 spindle threads, on toy lathes maybe
    #3-- #1 MT, no good stuff fits it again for toy lathes
    #4-- Tubular frame, alignment problems

Save your money and shop around.
    Take a look at the Jet 1236 for ideas, those are the minimum specs I would consider for what you have in mind.
    Last edited by Whaler; 04-29-2011, 06:50 PM.
    Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

To give you my opinion of that model, or any similar 1/2 HP tube frame lathe... I bought a Central Machinery branded Jet 1236 clone...

Simply put, 1/2 HP isn't enough. The 3/4 HP of the 1236 models is barely adequate for the turning I do, but I manage, I would HATE a 1/2 HP machine.

The tube frames are a nightmare to keep lined up right. I remember the Craftsman tube lathe my dad had when I was a kid. He didn't swear by it, he swore AT it...

Seriously, if your budget is limited to $300.00, AND if you have a Harbor Freight handy, I can whole heartedly recommend the #34706 Jet JWL1236 clone (The call it a 12x33-3/8", according to my tape, it's 12x36, and even on the crate they call it a 12x36, go figure...). Currently going for $249.00 and there are 20% off coupons all over the place, most magazines I have seen, Wood, Petersens 4 Wheel & Off Road, Car & Driver, etc... are good sources... That gets the price for the lathe down to $200.00.

Grab a second 20% off coupon, and snatch the 8 piece HSS lathe chisel set, and if you don't have a grinder with decent wheels, get one, and learn to sharpen...

Oh, don't forget a full face shield... A chuck comes later, but a fair warning, tenons can rip off of spinning work pieces, and if you don't have the face shield in the way, it could be your nose, or your eye that the work piece bounces off of... Don't ask me how I know...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

What Dick said. Except I am not even sure it'd make a great boat anchor.

Comment

Working...