• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toolguy1000
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2009
    • westchester cnty, ny

wood magazine 14" band saw test, 05/11 issue

the may, 2011 issue of wood magazine contains a comparison test of 14" band saws. seven saws were tested and the laguna 14suv (220v) and the rikon 10-325 (110v) were both rated top tools and the grizzly go555x was rated top value. two observations about the test:

1. should the laguna have been included? it's 50% more expensive than the next two highest priced saws (jet and powermatic @ $1000) and has a motor that is either 50% or 100% more powerful than any of the other saws. seems to almost be in a different class.

2. jet and powermatic continue in their quest to be almost the most expensive version of whatever tool is included in a comparative tool test and yet continue to miss being rated a top tool, at least according to the results of wood's last 5 years comparison tests of common place stationary power tools(6" jointers, benchtop planers, band saws, contractor table saws, hybrid table saws and cabinet table saws).
    Last edited by toolguy1000; 03-11-2011, 11:16 AM.
    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Thanks for the post. I'll have to look for the May issue on the newstand.

Regarding your comments:

1. I guess the "criteria" for the comparison is the "size" and not the component makeup and/or the price. So if the Laguna fits the criteria of the comparison, it should be included, IMHO. Let the reader decide whether that particular model, with it's costlier components/features, is a "fit" for them.

2. While I'd like to think that a higher priced product should be the better product, I know from experience that that is not the case much of the time. Still, I'm sure there are a number of buyers who won't see it that way.

With some, the higher price provides a certain snob appeal. With others there's a brand loyalty, and still with others there's simply a lack of knowledge of comparison and many people simply will not spend the time to research. A friend tells them what's what, or they are certain that the particular brand is great and exactly what they need, or they just like the way "it speaks to them" (color, shape, and even something as simple as the way a particular component looks; or even the logo, for that matter).

Bottom line, the higher priced stuff still sells and makes enough profit for the brand owner that the "competitive" analysis from a magazine will hardly make them blink.

My opinion, anyway,

CWS
    Last edited by cwsmith; 03-11-2011, 11:40 AM.
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

#1 Of course it should have been included in the reviews, it is after all a 14" bandsaw and that's is what the article was all about.

#2 Your constant one sided war against Jet and Powermatic is really getting old and boring. But most of all your point has nothing whatsoever to do with the WOOD Magazine article.

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

May, what happened to April? Did I not receive that one either?
        I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
          May, what happened to April? Did I not receive that one either?
          Wood is only published 7 times a year. I don't think there is/was an April.

+1 on just the size for the criteria. I like seeing the higher end saws reviewed too. It is nice to see what one might be missing out on, or not missing by not shelling out the big bucks. I would like to see more models included though; like the low end Grizzley etc.
          Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

thats a fair range of saws. But they didn't include the bottom end at all (e.g. harbor freight or Reliant or whatever brands form the bottom end).

Good to know that much money spent does buy a better saw (if the money goes for better components.

And good to know that certain name brands are just riding on their rep and not necessarily providing a better product for extra cost.
            And
            good to know that Grizz gives good value for the money.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• toolguy1000
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2009
              • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by cwsmith
              ... With some, the higher price provides a certain snob appeal. With others there's a brand loyalty, and still with others there's simply a lack of knowledge of comparison and many people simply will not spend the time to research. A friend tells them what's what, or they are certain that the particular brand is great and exactly what they need, or they just like the way "it speaks to them" (color, shape, and even something as simple as the way a particular component looks; or even the logo, for that matter)..........
              i keep forgetting what i learned in a behavioral economics course...........most people seldom make rational choices where resource allocation is concerned. i guess, given that, jet and powermatic will continue to have a long and properous future ahead of them.
              there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

altho I'm an engineer and always hope that the best thought out products and best engineered products would always win the marketplace, I've come to the realization that marketing departments, price, politics and perception seem to count for more in who wins and loses in the competitive marketplace.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

So it is true, a turd can be polished.
                  Erik

Comment

• luteman
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2007
                    • Northern Michigan
                    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by pelligrini
                    So it is true, a turd can be polished.
                    And even painted gold!

Comment

• pelligrini
                      Veteran Member
                      • Apr 2007
                      • Fort Worth, TX
                      • Craftsman 21829

I got my issue yesterday, the title was Shop Tested Deluxe 14" Bandsaws, so that's why we didn't see any of the lower end saws. The Delta 28-206 did much worse than the Jet and Powermatic it was only $175 less than the $1000 price tag on each of the latter two.
                      Erik

Comment

Working...