• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

How Much for Used Equipment?

A neighbor of mine is going to sell his woodworking equipment. He asked me how much he should ask because he hasn't kept up with prices. I thought I would ask you guys.

Powermatic 66 Table Saw with iron extension table and roller base unit and Biesemeyer fence; approx. 10 yrs old with minor use, great condition - how much?

Craftsman 12" Band Saw, also little use in excellent condition - How much?

Dewalt Miter Saw, 10" Single Bevel non-slider, good condition - How much?

Jet 14" Floor Standing Drill Press - Little use, excellent condition - How much?

Thanks for all opinions.

EDIT: He has sold it to his BIL.
    Richard
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Every area is a little different, and there are always other factors, but I'd think a nice PM66 equipped as described would be worth in the $900-$1200 range.

Which Cman 12" is it?
    Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Don't forget condition. It is going to vary quite a bit depending on, if they haven't been touched (from just surface rust, to pitting) in some time, to if they have been waxed and upkept.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Search Craigslist across the country for each item. Should give you a very good idea of what to ask for.

You/he could use something like www.searchtempest.com or http://craiglook.com/, or Google itself (search for powermatic +craigslist). For a total of 10 minutes of effort, he'd know exactly where his machines are placed.

I'd suggest try eBay too, but that works only if he wants to sell thru eBay.
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Knottscott
          Every area is a little different, and there are always other factors, but I'd think a nice PM66 equipped as described would be worth in the $900-$1200 range.

Which Cman 12" is it?
          Not sure which Craftsman model. Only know it's 12." Guess I didn't realize they made more than one model in 12" range.
          Richard

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by phrog
            Not sure which Craftsman model. Only know it's 12." Guess I didn't realize they made more than one model in 12" range.
            Pretty sure they had some three wheeled models, in that size, that are KNOWN for issues (can't give them away).
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Depending on condition I'd say 50%-70% retail.
              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                Pretty sure they had some three wheeled models, in that size, that are KNOWN for issues (can't give them away).
                It's a two-wheeler.
                Richard

Comment

• phrog
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2005
                  • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks to all who replied. They just called me and told me he sold it to his BIL.
                  Richard

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

No more than 50% of current retail with the exception of the bandsaw. I'd go no higher than 5-10% for that boat anchor.

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by sweensdv
                      No more than 50% of current retail with the exception of the bandsaw. I'd go no higher than 5-10% for that boat anchor.
                      Boat anchor? I would offer him 10 % if he hadn't already sold it. Shoot the electrical cord is worth that much.
                      Richard

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I know there's no need for an answer the BIL having bought the lot, but its a good time for a general discussion on used prices.
                        Clearly there's exceptions to everything depending upon how rare it is and how badly you want it and more importantly, who else wants it.

But here's my mental thought process:
                        First a definintion of normal street prices - not MSRP but what they usually sell for but not clearance pricing
                        (for example the BT3100 was sold a lot at $300 and I consider that the street price even though a lot of you were able to by clearanced models for $200-250)
                        I'd go up to 85% percent of normal street prices for something absolutely in mint condition and hardly used and seemingly perfect but without any factory warranty or returnability. That means you're taking a chance it might break within a normal warranty period and you'd have to pay for repairs.
                        For something used, a name brand, but well taken care of, in very good to excellent condition maybe up to 66%
                        For something well used but still very serviceable and in very good condition, I'm thinking up to 50% of street prices.
                        Used and needing some replacements parts and some maintenance or TLC, likely not working perfectly, we're talking the 15-33% range depending upon what's obviously wrong, don't forget after you fix the obvious stuff there may be other hidden problems.
                        A basket case for a "restoration project" or parts, we're down to 10% or less of street prices, and there'd have to be a lot of useful parts still left.

Name brands (i.e. dewalt, Jet, Delta) get higher end of price range vs. off brands (you'l know these when you don't recognize them).
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by phrog
                          Thanks to all who replied. They just called me and told me he sold it to his BIL.
                          That way he can retain visitation rights!
                          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• phrog
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jul 2005
                            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks to Loring for a very good and useful discussion. I think I'll print that out for future reference.
                            Richard

Comment

• phrog
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2005
                              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Knottscott
                              That way he can retain visitation rights!
                              Actually, I think you may be on to something there.
                              Richard

Comment

Working...