• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Refurbished Batteries

My batteries are starting to die off. I am down to one lithium and one nicad that hold a good charge but have been balking at the $90 cost at HD.

I am watching several new battiries on FleaBay but also saw these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-X-Ryobi-18V-Li...item4aa89c1a83

Anyone tried these or any from other sellers? What are your opinions or experiences with them?

Also, for those that have used the P103 lightweight batteries, what do you think of them? How is the run time compared to the full size P104 battery?
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

I don't have any experience with those batteries, just wanted to make sure you had seen the shipping cost on that auction(!)

Comment

• lebomike
      Established Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Pennsylvania
      • Ryobi BT3000

Check these guys out, http://www.mtobattery.com,they are located in York ,PA and have a very good reputation for batteries.
      "The power of kindness is immense. It is nothing less, really, than the power to change the world."

Comment

• sparkeyjames
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Redford MI.
        • Craftsman 21829

Maybe you could get them rebuilt?
        http://www.batteriesplus.com/models/...ies/Ryobi.aspx

Comment

• RAFlorida
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2008
          • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
          • Ryobi BT3000

DON, check the shipping

for that battery. Dewi1299 may have saved your bank account!!!

Comment

• frumper64
            Established Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Garland, Tx, USA.

I have a couple of the smaller LiOn batteries and one of the full size one. The smaller ones are nice in that they are lighter, but I am not very enthusiastic about their life. They are both a bit over 2 years old and will only charge to 20.1 volts now versus 20.6 volts when they were new. The full size one, though (P104 I think) is the same age and is still just fine.
            Jim
            64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Taylormade
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2011
              • Tampa, FL
              • Ryobi BT3000

While I haven't done it, there are a lot of folks that recharge their own batteries with either a welder or battery charger. You can search youtube for recharge or repair cordless battery and you'll find a ton of videos explaining it.

I think it goes without saying that you need to know what you're doing and take extreme caution doing it, but you can save a ton of money doing it yourself if you dare.

If not, then yeah, check out your battery stores locally, they typically stock them for roughly half what you'd pay for a new one.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Chapel Hill, NC
                • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by dewi1219
                I don't have any experience with those batteries, just wanted to make sure you had seen the shipping cost on that auction(!)
                Actually even with the high shipping costs, that's probably not such a bad deal for six if you can score them for ~$40 each. It seems to me they're always a lot more than that in the store.
                online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• dewi1219
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Birmingham, AL

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                  Actually even with the high shipping costs, that's probably not such a bad deal for six if you can score them for ~$40 each. It seems to me they're always a lot more than that in the store.
                  You're right, IF you can win the auction for the starting bid. The link is to an actual auction, not a "Buy It Now". As long as you take the shipping charges into account when bidding, you may still get a decent deal. I just didn't want the OP to overlook shipping and get a big, unpleasant surprise if he won.

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

There was a lot of variation to the shipping, ranging from free to $165+. I happened to link one of the highest ones. Really have to pay attention.

Also found people offering buy it now 'deals' on the P104 batteries ranging up to $155. With the free shipping (sometimes) that SURE beats paying $89.85 plus tax at HD...Assuming your local sales tax is abouve 98%.... Worst part is somebody out there is fool enough to pay that price.

I haven't looked to see if anyone local rebuilds LiIon batteries.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• mnmphd
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Taylormade
                      While I haven't done it, there are a lot of folks that recharge their own batteries with either a welder or battery charger. You can search youtube for recharge or repair cordless battery and you'll find a ton of videos explaining it.
                      While I have heard of such methods for NiCad and NiMH, I would NOT try this
                      with LiION. LiION is a very different technology. LiION cells get over heat and
                      ignite if overcharged. As a result LiION batteries have an internal circuit to protect the cells from overcharging and catching on fire. Connecting them to
                      a power source that is not the intended charger could result in damage to the
                      protection circuit, the cells, or the user!

I would see what the cost for rebuilding is. I checked with with Batteries Plus (http://www.batteriesplus.com/) a while back and the prices were reasonable. If I recall it may have been cheaper online, but then I had to ship the batteries, and I think the difference wasn't that large to warrant the effort to box them up.

just my 2 cents.

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

I found batteries plus to have higher costs on a lot of the stuff that they carry over what I could find on ebay and a couple other retailers. I wasn't researching cordless tool batteries but some phone batteries and UPS batteries. They weren't totally unreasonable either.

If you have a location near you there might be some savings on shipping, plus the added convenience of not having to wait for a delivery, etc.
                        Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Taylormade

I think it goes without saying that you need to know what you're doing and take extreme caution doing it, but you can save a ton of money doing it yourself if you dare.

If not, then yeah, check out your battery stores locally, they typically stock them for roughly half what you'd pay for a new one.
                          I agree with NMNPHD, that this is not for Li-ion batteries and can be very dangerous with Li-ion batteries. Don't do it.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...