X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepman71
    Established Member
    • Nov 2008

I am pretty happy with the DW734. They can be bought at Lowes for 399.00 regular price.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by woodinville guy
      I have the Ryobi 13" one from a few years back, how does it stack up against the dewalt?
      Depends, Ryobi has had several 13" models over the years.

The AP1300 is the one to get if you can find one in good shape. Cutter head lock, infeed and outfeed support, rapid set knives, etc... Not quite a DeWalt, but for a hobby woodworker, should last for decades. The cutter head lock certainly reduces snipe, but it is almost always there, even with a cutter head lock.

The AP1301, which is the current model, and has been for at least 4 years that I know of lacks a cutter head lock, and infeed / outfeed support. But has proven to be an excellent planer, with good performance. Dealing with snipe is as simple as picking up the tail end of the board as you feed it in, until the rollers have control of it, and then picking up the leading edge of the board as it comes off the rollers, this at least minimizes the snipe. I had a total of 1.5" long of barely noticeable snipe on the maple I planed Friday. Just clip that bit off and run with it...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Travis,

I was in Lowe's yesterday and they had the DeWalt 734 in stock and a sticker that the price had been reduced. With a coupon you could probably walk out the door with it for less than $300.
        I had an older model for years and it was a beautiful machine. I only traded it when I went to a j/p combo.
        Good luck,
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• BigguyZ
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2006
          • Minneapolis, MN
          • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I looked on the website, and it looks like the DW734 has been reduced at both HD and Lowes to $370. What coupon is there that will bring it down to $300? I'd jump on it for that...

Comment

• toolguy1000
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2009
            • westchester cnty, ny

get a harbor freight 20% off any single item coupon ($370 x .8 = $296). then find a HD or lowes that will honor it on that item. sometimes, those store managers get a little prickly about charging you only 80% of the posted price. I've found a HD near me that honors that coupon and then takes off another "beat the competition" discount of an additional 10%.

but I'd rather apply that coupon to a ridgid 4330. at $399, the after coupon price would be $320. that additional $24 would provide a planer that is as good as the 734, was rated a top value in the last wood magazine comparative test of bench top planers and also qualifies for registration in the lifetime service agreement with ridgid. parts and labor covered for life, rather than whatever finite period warranty dewalt offers. i think that's a better long term alternative.
            there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• 3thumbs
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Northern Colorado
              • Delta 10" contractor saw/cast wings

[QUOTE=toolguy1000;480261]get a harbor freight 20% off any single item coupon ($370 x .8 = $296). then find a HD or lowes that will honor it on that item. sometimes, those store managers get a little prickly about charging you only 80% of the posted price. I've found a HD near me that honors that coupon and then takes off another "beat the competition" discount of an additional 10%.

I can't imagine Lowes or Home Depot even thinking about honoring a Harbor Freight coupon!

Comment

• toolguy1000
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2009
                • westchester cnty, ny

[QUOTE=3thumbs;480329]
                Originally posted by toolguy1000
                get a harbor freight 20% off any single item coupon ($370 x .8 = $296). then find a HD or lowes that will honor it on that item. sometimes, those store managers get a little prickly about charging you only 80% of the posted price. I've found a HD near me that honors that coupon and then takes off another "beat the competition" discount of an additional 10%.

I can't imagine Lowes or Home Depot even thinking about honoring a Harbor Freight coupon!
                fact is, it is done. and here in NYC too boot! i have a post somewhere detailing my purchase of a ridgid BS for $119 after tax. item was clearancing for $202. tool manager took off $50 since it was the last one (store's inventory system showed none on hand). then i used a HF 20% coupon and the store added another 10% discount as noted above. plus 8 1/2% sales tax = $119.

some stores refuse to honor the coupon. i've called atlanta about honoring the HF coupons and they have instructed store personnel to honor the HF 20% coupon ( i usually don't get the other 10% from these stores). YMMV.
                there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Working...