• Show
Clear All
  • mjdtexan
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008
    • Houston(ish)
    • Sears Model 21828

Craftsman Tablesaw model# 21828

I have this saw and it looks A LOT like the Ryobi BT3 saw. I was wondering if it is related to that saw.

Here is a link to the saw at Sears. I hope that this is not inappropriate. If so please let me know and I will erase the link

Nice to meet yall by the way.

• Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

It's the 21829. They've either changed numbers or it's a mistake.

I have it, good saw, but overpriced at regular prices. Got mine for about $300 or so.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• mjdtexan
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2008
      • Houston(ish)
      • Sears Model 21828

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
      It's the 21829. They've either changed numbers or it's a mistake.

I have it, good saw, but overpriced at regular prices. Got mine for about $300 or so.
      Is it the Ryobi saw with a name change?

Comment

• Cochese
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2010

It's an evolution. Folding/mobile base, different surface, different paint scheme.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by mjdtexan
          Is it the Ryobi saw with a name change?
          I've got it as the 21829.

What CocheseUGA said plus 6" longer rails, a wider accessory table with miter slots (which really can't be used with the tablesaw for miters). It also includes the router accessories; fence, bolts, dust chute, etc.. The router mounts directly to the accessory table instead of an aluminum plate.
          Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

the description says 21828 in the title but says in the text below model number 21829 which is known as part number 315.218290 (which will be on the name plate of the unit) when you go and look up any parts for it.

i think pelligrini's response (below) is correct.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-31-2010, 06:24 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I think it's a mistake on the Sears website.
              This is what I've seen the 21828 as: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...ame=Table+Saws
              It's a lot like the Rigid R4516. Some more discussion here: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=44535
              Erik

Comment

• kevincan
                Established Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Central Illinois
                • Craftsman 21829

I have the Craftsman 21829 which is the same saw that is pictured for the link the OP included. I think that it may be a mistake on Sears web site.

If you are looking to buy one I would wait for a sale.
                Last edited by kevincan; 12-31-2010, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

I have this saw and it looks A LOT like the Ryobi BT3 saw. I was wondering if it is related to that saw.
                  Yep, it's the same saw in the ways that count
                  • Same/similar rail profile, making t-nuts and attachments portable between the two
                  • same motor/bracket assy, meaning you can add a Shark Guard
                  • Fences are not identical, but similar due the similar fence profiles
                  • Same SMT
                  JR
                  JR

Comment

• sweensdv
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • WI
                    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Originally posted by JR
                    Yep, it's the same saw in the ways that count
                    • Same/similar rail profile, making t-nuts and attachments portable between the two
                    • same motor/bracket assy, meaning you can add a Shark Guard
                    • Fences are not identical, but similar due the similar fence profiles
                    • Same SMT

JR
                    Also, the 315 prefix indicates that it is manufactured by Ryobi.

Comment

• mjdtexan
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Dec 2008
                      • Houston(ish)
                      • Sears Model 21828

Thank Yall. I bought this saw a couple of Christmases ago. I didnt really start using it until this year though. The fence drives me absolutely nuts. Its a job to get it to be square for just about every cut. I ran across this forum about the time I got the saw and I thought it looked a lot like the Ryobi saw.

So, you guys have your own forum dealing with this saw. That means yall probably can point me in the correct direction concerning that fence. I sure would like to make better use of the space on those rails as well.

I do intend on getting a cabinetmakers style saw as soon as I can but I feel this can still be a good saw. I would like to get it set up so that I can crank out some bee hives.
                      Last edited by mjdtexan; 12-31-2010, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

A post recently in a thread stated to pull forward on the fence to keep the back from moving. I can't search for it right now, but I posted in it if you want to search my back posts. I'm sure someone will come along and give you a direct link.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                          A post recently in a thread stated to pull forward on the fence to keep the back from moving. I can't search for it right now, but I posted in it if you want to search my back posts. I'm sure someone will come along and give you a direct link.
                          I think this is the thread that Cochese was referring to (probably need to read the whole thing):
                          This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• pelligrini
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • Fort Worth, TX
                            • Craftsman 21829

So, you guys have your own forum dealing with this saw. That means yall probably can point me in the correct direction concerning that fence. I sure would like to make better use of the space on those rails as well.
                            This is a pretty good thread on some of the differences between the 21829 and the BT3 saws: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=45948

I put a set of half rail entensions on my 21829 giving around 6 1/2' of table top: http://www.bt3central.com/showpost.p...92&postcount=7

Be sure to get the FAQ from Loring, check his signature above.
                            Erik

Comment

• mjdtexan
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2008
                              • Houston(ish)
                              • Sears Model 21828

Originally posted by pelligrini
                              This is a pretty good thread on some of the differences between the 21829 and the BT3 saws: http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=45948

I put a set of half rail entensions on my 21829 giving around 6 1/2' of table top: http://www.bt3central.com/showpost.p...92&postcount=7

Be sure to get the FAQ from Loring, check his signature above.
                              Hey, thank you. I am reading about SawZilla at the moment. As soon as I finish that article I will for sure view those two links. Thanks again.

Edited to add: There was not any information on the sawzilla. I like what you've done with yours though. I need to get me a router setup like that too. How much did it cost you to set that saw up not counting the router lift or router?
                              Last edited by mjdtexan; 12-31-2010, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Working...