• Show
Clear All
  • Sawatzky
    Established Member
    • Apr 2005
    • CA
    • Ridgid TS3650

question about plunge base on Ridgid router

I got the Ridgid router combo for Christmas. So far it is a great router, but I have a question about the plunge base. I have never used a plunge base before, so I don't know if this is normal or not. The plunge base plunges smooth when you use both hands and the bottom of the base is completely supported by a work piece. But if I have a bit with a bearing on it and want to set the plunge for a certain depth of cut and try to plunge on the edge of a workpiece, it is very hard to plunge. It seems like any slight pressure that is not totally downward causes it to stick. Is the just the way plunge bases are? Should the plunge only be smooth if the base is completely supported by a work piece? If I have slightly less pressure on one hand on a bit more on the other it sticks too. I have lubed everything that can be lubed. Any ideas? I don't want to return the router if I just don't know what I am doing.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

only certain router bits can be plunged - I would not think a bearing bit is designed to be plunged. The way to use a bearing bit is to take small bites in sequential passes coming in from outside, and not to plunge down on it. The bearing will eventually stop the horizontal travel of the bit.

That's my opinion anyway.

Only bits with bottom cutters all the way across should be plunged.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Sawatzky
      Established Member
      • Apr 2005
      • CA
      • Ridgid TS3650

What I meant was that I was trying to set the depth of cut for a bit with a bearing on it by plunging it on the edge of a workpiece as to eyeball the depth of cut. Is there a better way to set the depth of cut for edging bits on a plunge router?

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

oh, i see what you mean, you're not cutting anything but trying to plunge using a partially supported router base. I think that makes you put more force on one side... I'm more comfortable plunging with equal force provided by two hands fully on the router, otherwise I think they tend to bind.

Still, I would use the fixed base for edging, not a plunge base.
        I would only use my plunge base for internal work where the base is fully supported.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...