X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbosma

New Delta DP300L - won't turn on

Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

Santa brought me a new Delta DP300L - 12" drill press.

Assembled it last night. Flipped the switch to try it out, and nothing.

Not a hum, not a click, not a squeek, nothing.

Any advice on what to look for? Power supply is fine. Didn't get it from a local shop so I can't just go pick up another one.

Thanks for your help
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mbosma
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum.

Santa brought me a new Delta DP300L - 12" drill press.

Assembled it last night. Flipped the switch to try it out, and nothing.

Not a hum, not a click, not a squeek, nothing.

Any advice on what to look for? Power supply is fine. Didn't get it from a local shop so I can't just go pick up another one.

Thanks for your help
    Unplug it first.
    check the switch with an ohmeter - its easy to remove and you can check it, or if you know what you are doing with electricity, you can bypass the switch and see if the motor turns.

Switches are cheap or run it bypassed with an external switch. If not the switch then its probably the motor and you are in bad luck.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mbosma

After thinking about it a little more, I'm wondering if it has a fuse reset button like my Delta table saw. I'll inspect the switch after looking for a little red button.

Comment

• herb fellows
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • New York City
        • bt3100

While anything is possible, the odds of the motor being doa are extremely slim.

1a) Is it possible they have something that prevents the switch from being turned on accidentally during set up? Something as simple as a piece of plastic/cardboard that prevents the switch from connecting?

1) check the outlet with a lamp.
        2) look for that fuse or reset button, quite likely that is it.
        3) have a look at the switch for power.

If none of the above, call Delta and ask for a tech, they will probably be able to walk you through something on the phone.
        I'm sure it's something silly, it seems it always is. Good luck with it!
        Last edited by herb fellows; 12-20-2010, 07:33 PM.
        You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• fbrend123
          Established Member
          • Aug 2006
          • Michigan
          • Ryobi BT3000

My Delta dp has a safety key that inserts into the toggle handle. Won't turn on without it, but it's pretty obvious if it's missing. Maybe it's not pushed in all the way?

Comment

• mbosma

Well, went home yesterday and fiddled with it some more. No fuse to reset. Checked the cord again, and tried the on switch. The motor fired to life and everything worked fine.

Have to assume that the power cord was not making a good connection. Very strange - it's a lighted extension cord, and the power cord was plugged all the way in. Must have been some moisture in it somewhere. Unplugged it from the compressor and plugged into the DP - never had an issue using it before.

Sorry for the trouble folks, and thanks for your help.

-Matt

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

It may actually be a loose connector on your switch. Unplug it and remove the switch and physically check the connections. An arcing connector can be bad and cause fires or shorten switch life.
              If it failed once, it will likely do it again.
              Lee

Comment

Working...