• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xcross
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2009

Need advice on how to route a raised panel

Hi,
    I'm making a pair of raised panel doors for a cabinet and need some advice before I start. The bit I chose is the MLCS Ogee with Bead Raised Panel Router Bit. The panel is made of red oak. I've cut some bead and picture frame molding of the same material and it is very hard to route. With those smaller bits I could only cut less than 1/8" depth/pass with the piece held firmly with vertical and horizontal feather boards.

I did a practice piece with the panel bit and found I needed to cut 1/16" or less per pass. But I see a couple problems. The first is the panel will be too big to allow the horizontal feather board so I would have to hold the piece against the fence and bit by hand. Second, I'm changing the depth of the router each cut instead of leaving it fixed and using shims under the piece as I've read about.

I've seen a gadget on the MLCS website that holds a vertical feather board offset a few inches from the fence. I suppose that would help with a large panel but still worry that holding it by hand in the horizontal axis would let it kick back. Controlling the depth of the cut, it seems like a stack of shims (its a pretty deep profile) would just make the stability of the piece worse and not work as well as changing the router depth.

I'd appreciate any advice on the best way to do this first raised panel project. I'm pretty happy with the panels I made planing and biscuit joining and don't want to attempt milling the profile till I know what I'm doing on that step.

Thanks
    Chris
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

first thing, have you reduced the speed of the router - looks like that bit is 3.5" in diameter?

for example (not that this is the last word, other sites may suggest differently)
    http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/rtrbtspds.html

http://www.rockler.com/blog/index.cf...AF82F6F8B64106
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-03-2010, 01:06 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

The last time I did this, I used the tablesaw for straight-line raised panels, using a jig something like shown here : http://www.newwoodworker.com/pnlrasjig.html

But even recognizing you want the ogee profile, you might as well start by cutting the panel on the TS first, and then routing it. Might make for lesser runs, and maybe safer too.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

You can take smaller cuts two ways, either not as deep and raise the bit each time/remove a shim or hold it away from the fence and gradually move it in with each pass until you reach a full cut. You can also, using a jig like radhak shows and your table saw cut away a large amount of the waste. Hold your bit up to a block of wood and draw the profile, now use a straightedge and see what a saw can remove without getting into the profile shape that the router will be cutting. Do a test, it's amazing how close you can get to the final cut with the table saw. After that I would set my depth of cut for the bit and work my way against the fence for a final cut.

Hope this makes some sense to you

oh yeah, don't forget what Loring said about slowing down the bit.

Bill

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

All great advice so far! Take many small passes. Remember to go across, down, across, and finish with down the grain. Feed steady. Make sure your router is plugged into a circuit with nothing else on it and either no extension cord or one of short and heavy gauge wire.

Both of the above were done with an MLCS flat panel raising bit.
          Last edited by Black wallnut; 12-03-2010, 01:19 AM.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...