• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

HF DC Modification

Omar's thread on his DC separator and installation got me thinking again of modifying my HF DC to reposition the motor/impeller assemybly so the separator could be put under the motor. This would also eliminate the flex tube from the impeller to the center collection ring, which should provide some performance improvement.

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I don't remember if anyone has actually tried it. Obviously some fairly stout brackets would have to be fabricated to support the motor assembly. These might be made to encompase the collection bags as well, since the original support rods for the ring and bags ar not very strong.

I may consider changing the upper bag to a cartridge filter at the same time. I know this would improve performancebut what I need to check is the height if the available filters compared to the stock upper bag. If the filter is shorter, I would be able to raise the motor further to increase clearance for the separator.

Comments, thoughts? Results/pictures if anyone has tried it would be helpfull.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Don,

The Wynn filter is considerably shorter than the stock bag / hanger.

I have my DC set up on a stand to fit my compressor below...

It works. I would be at least a foot into the attic if the bag was still there...

On the issue if anyone has done what you are talking about. I am not sure about anyone here, but I know on Phil's forum, he has folks posting about this specific modification all the time. I am working the details out to do it myself. I am planning on an aluminum frame instead of the more common wood. I have the aluminum available to me free... You can size it to fit a 20-30-55 gallon or whatever size can / drum. I will likely go and do a build with a 30 gallon steel drum. (Finally found a source for them.). Go with 5" in / out, of course you CAN upsize to 6", but I don't want to at this point. Then on the inlet of your separator, you can mount up your 5x4x4 Wye and have a good go at it...
    Last edited by dbhost; 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• footprintsinconc
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2006
      • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
      • BT3100

i was going to suggest phil's site to you too. it has so many different style of setups that i am sure you will get what you are looking for there. there are quiet a few people who have mounted the motors on top of the can and all sorts of other configurations....check it out.

but you can build a frame out of wood or steel/aluminum to mimic the delta 50-760 setup and end up with a setup similar to mine. i dont think its going to need to be some stout steel member, just joints for lateral stability. tie the bag part into the frame and see if the three vertical supports for the bag need to be stiffened up to help laterally and you are good to go.

Comment

• AlanZ
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2008

I've repositioned the motor on a HF dust collector

Click here for photos and text of the setup

Perhaps this will help with your configuration

Comment

• toolguy1000
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2009
          • westchester cnty, ny

nicely done modification.

efficient use of floor space..........................really important
          improving the tool performance....................equally important

doing it well.............................................. priceless
          there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Eric
            • Jun 2003
            • Cocolalla, ID
            • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

Pappy, I built a Thien Separator to fit inside a 55 gallon drum, then just set the motor/blower on top of the lid. Totally got rid of the need of the hose from the blower to the drum and gave me an almost straight shot to the bags.

Only problem is having to lift the motor off the lid in order to empty the drum. But makes it more portable too.

Comment

• lago
              Established Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Lago Vista, TX.

I have been thinking about doing the same thing Pappy.

I currently have a 55gal drum chip separator with heavy plywood lid sitting next the DC. I need to free up some floor space so this is what I am planning:

Add a platform extension to the HFDC platform for the 55gal drum. Might have to add extra wheels to support the extension. I haven’t decided yet how I will mount the motor to the top, probably to some plywood and brace with angle iron and attach to the lid.

For a straight shot from the motor to the bags, I am thinking about using ½” or ¾” metal conduit to elevate the dust bag frame.

That’s what I am planning for now but open for suggestions.

Ken

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Hey Don, did the Thien conversion and couldn't be happier with the results. Not much time in build and using a 50-720 with 30g steel drum. HTH

I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                  Hey Don, did the Thien conversion and couldn't be happier with the results. Not much time in build and using a 50-720 with 30g steel drum. HTH

Hey Chop. Was there any welding required on that rig? I have a mess of that aluminum available, I was thinking about building a similar-ish frame for my HF DC to so a side spin reorientation of my impeller and motor in Delta 50-760 style. I do want to use a 30 gallon steel drum with that setup though. (Would consider selling off my 55 gallon model to make room in my shop)...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• toolguy1000
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • westchester cnty, ny

Originally posted by chopnhack

now that's a nifty set up. wish i had the room for modifying my ap400 in a similar fashion. really nicely done, chop.
                    there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

This is a great thread. If I ever get the power I need for one of these, I'm certainly going to have to shrink it down to fit.
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• chopnhack
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • Florida
                        • Ryobi BT3100

No welding Dbhost, only bolts, nuts, lockwashers and washers. Thanks Toolguy
                        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...