• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheChadNC
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2005
    • Hickory, NC USA

What bench top router table

I cant decide which one to get. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? The Bosch and Bench Dog router tables
    (http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RA1171-C...8459514&sr=1-2)

(http://www.amazon.com/Bench-Dog-40-0...8459464&sr=1-4)

B-Day is coming up and LOML is going to get me one or the other of these, I just cant decide which one I like better. Also getting a kreg pocket hole kit.

Money isn't a factor as she is getting them through a reward program from her work.

The Biggest knock I see on the bench dog is the Plate not being aluminum and no external switch as the bosch has both of those. The switch isn't that big of a deal as I may eventually put a speed controller on it. Both get pretty good reviews overall, I was just looking to see if anyone could weigh in with their opinions or experience with them.
    "Hey you dang woodchucks, Quit chucking my wood!"
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Chad,

I went with a Rockler table top (package #1 on the link below) which has twice the top surface of the Benchdog that you linked) which included the fence, aluminum plate, etc. I built my own stand. I've had the table about three or four years now and love it.

http://www.rockler.com/c/router-tabl...ccessories.cfm

You might note that Rockler also has the Benchdog model you linked, at a slightly lower price (I'm not a particular fan of Amazon.)

In any case, just thought I'd throw another option out there. It all depends on what you are looking for of course and size, cabinet, etc. all matters if that is what you want.

I hope this helps,

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Chad,
      If you have the means to produce an enclosure/base of your own, you could build one with a little more surface area by getting one of these table/fence combos. Then add a switch of your choice up front.

Otherwise, I don't see any advantage to the Benchdog over the Bosch, so given I like the aluminum plate and switch up front, I'd probably go with the Bosch.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Given the choices I'd have to go with the Bosch, however, I must admit, I am not crazy about either choice. Not enough table surface area...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tommyt654
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2008

If she,s not limited to Amazon the heres what I would suggest. Go here, http://www.woodpeck.com/specials.html , and scroll down to the tops and stand that are on clearance. For about $190 shipped you get a great top and a decent stand,or go to HD and simply buy a closeout vanity that will accept that router top. I see them all the time for $15-20 so you,ll save even more. Then p/u a fence from any number of places,Peachtree woodworkin,Rockler,etc. Now all you need is a plate and a decent router and you,ll have a fullsize unit to move around that,ll be better than both of those units period.You could even get the inexpensive router plate from HF if you wanted or shop aroun a little and check Infinity,Woodpecker,MLCS,Peachtree woodworking for an inexpensive router plate or even buy some 3/8ths lexan from HD or Lowes and make your own. Either way you,ll have a better unit IMO that either one of those and with some casters on a HD or Lowes vanity it,ll be mobile enough to roll out in the driveway or wherever else you work

Comment

• chopnhack
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2006
            • Florida
            • Ryobi BT3100

Chad, you have gotten some good advice. I will say this, if your shop time is limited and/or you are new at woodworking, dont be swayed into building your own router table yet. You can always do that later after you have more experience and know what you want. I tried building my router table as my very first project, and although it was functional, I was never really satisfied with it as it lacked so many of the things I didn't know about back then! As a matter of fact I still have questions as to what I will do for that...
            I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• bullethead1964
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • texas
              • Craftsman (Emerson era)

I think the Bosch and Bench Dog are pretty equal values. If you are looking for a bench top, I think both are fine. I have seen the Bosch up close and liked it. I feel Bosch and Bench Dog make quality products.

Honestly I have an old aluminum Craftsman that does the job fine for me. I have thought many times about upgrading to a table saw wing router table, but then the "cheap" side of me always says why since what I have works fine.

If I was buying my FIRST router table though I would get a table saw wing RT from Bench Dog.

Just my 2 cents...best of luck to you.
              I said I want to touch the earth
              I want to break it in my hands
              I want to grow something wild and unruly

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid6255915

Comment

• herb fellows
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • New York City
                • bt3100

I have the Bench Dog, and both of your criticisms are exactly everything that is wrong with this table.
                Regarding the aluminum plate, if you're only hanging a 2 hp router, the phenolic will work ok.
                Other than those 2 things, this table is a dream. I use it outside when I'm doing small projects, it only weighs about 25-30 lbs so it's easy to move around. Has inserts for the fence to use it as a once in a while joiner.
                The construction is excellent, nice birch ply.
                If it meets your size requirements, I would not hesitate to recommend it. I have no experience with the Bosch.
                I happened to get a 'you suck' deal on it, so I may be somewhat happier than if I'd paid full price for it:-)
                It is pricey for what it is, but I find all router tables pricey.
                Last edited by herb fellows; 10-30-2010, 09:43 PM.
                You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• TheChadNC
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Hickory, NC USA

Thanks for the feedback so far.
                  I guess I should have stated that I will be setting up a new shop in an at most 12x16 building so I don't really think I will have the room for a full size dedicated table although I have thought about it. My shop has been packed up for the last 2-3 years as I was dealing with life issues but I was using the router table on my BT which I built a full size wide table kit for with a set of rails I bought several yaers ago from member scottydont (havent seen him on here in quite a while). Due to the size of my new building I will probably be breaking down my wide table and building a new cabinet with a set of half rails (stay tuned for some black half rails for sale) and I don't want to include the use of a router in it.
                  To answer another question, she is not limited to amazon,in fact they have their own catalog of merchandise that is pretty robust I might add, and they will allow you to get/add anything not listed if you give them the mfg info on it. They do have some tables in it but none include a fence. I just figured my best option at this point would be to get a little table top set up as I'm thinking the largest things I will be building from now on will be some baby furniture.
                  The best part about the whole deal is when I do get set up I will get to teach my new FIL about woodworking. He is pretty eager to learn as he always asks questions when he sees my "pile" of tools in the storage shed.
                  "Hey you dang woodchucks, Quit chucking my wood!"

Comment

• JSUPreston
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Montgomery, AL.
                    • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

I have the C-man version of the Bosch that I got several years ago when they were $30 or so (some clearance sale). It has a different fence, but the same case.

Table surface is a little small, but I've been living with it. My main complaint is that it is just tight inside. My old C-man fixed base router (with automatic height adjustment ) just barely fits in it. I've thought about cutting the bottom open to give more room. I don't see how my Ridgid router would fit if I were to swap.
                    "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Whaler
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Sequim, WA, USA.
                      • DW746

I have the Bench Dog and have nothing but good to say. The lack of an exterior switch is the only drawback which I will correct one of these days. I have the Bosch 1617EVS mounted in it and the plate is not a problem. Due to lack of space I do have mine mounted between the rails of my DW 746 but as another mentioned it is light enough to move around on the bench top.
                      Attached Files
                      Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• mycatisretarded
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • newton, nc, USA.

Why doesn't my wife get free router tables from work??? you suck.
                        Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana.

Comment

Working...