• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yuri
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2008
    • Gaithersburg, MD

Originally posted by dbhost
    ... and solid steel bushings ($10.00 + S&H each) ...
    What are these bushings for?

Comment

• gsmittle
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2004
      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
      • BT 3100

Anybody have the McMaster part # for the steel bushing? I realize my grinder (Ryobi 6") may be different, but at least I'll have a place to start. I looked online and McMaster-Carr only had about 43,000,000,000 different kinds.

g.
      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
      Bill & Ted

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by yuri
        What are these bushings for?
        Like I briefly touched on above, (but didn't go into enough detail) the plastic bushings that the Norton oxide wheels come with are total and complete junk. They have enough slop in them that they WILL throw the wheel off center and cause VIOLENT vibration of your grinder. The shaft diameter of the Ryobi grinder is 1/2", and the bore diameter of the grinding wheels are 1" I believe. I used McMaster Carr part # 8491A561, and they ran $9.60 each (I rounded up to $10.00 due to bad memory...)

Pulling the cheap plastic stack of bushings out, and swapping the one piece steel / stainless steel bushings in place took 90% of the vibration out of my grinder. Running the Geiger's truing tool on it took 90% of the remainder out. I mean you can still feel it running, but I doubt, even with the OneWay balance gizmo, that it would run any smoother...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by gsmittle
          Anybody have the McMaster part # for the steel bushing? I realize my grinder (Ryobi 6") may be different, but at least I'll have a place to start. I looked online and McMaster-Carr only had about 43,000,000,000 different kinds.

g.
          Not sure what the dimensions would be for the shaft, and the wheels for a 6" (mine still has the OEM wheels, I mostly use it for mower blades...). The search tool on McMaster Carr is pretty good though... If you give me the dimensions I might be able to get through it quicker... I guess I am used to it now.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

You'd have to double check but I think the p/n you need is 4461A8
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...