• Show
Clear All
  • steve-norrell
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • The Great Land - Alaska
    • BT3100-1

A rant: Woodpeck's not-so-hot-deal

Woodpeck is offering "free shipping" this week. But read the fine print!

Here is the message I got when I tried to order the shelf hole template:

"Free Shipping on any order (valid in Continental USA lower 48 states only)" is not valid for the ZIP/Country being used."

Don't they know about Flat Rate Priority Mail?

I know, some items won't fit in a Flat Rate box, but other companies offer discounts to accommodate those who don't live in the smaller 48 contiguous states.

But that's OK: there are other sources for jigs that do the same job. And for everything else I might want to purchase.

Regards, Steve
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by steve-norrell
    Don't they know about Flat Rate Priority Mail?
    Do you mean the Flat Rate Priority Mail the USPS offers, which, according to their web site, will ship anything that will fit within the box anywhere in the continental United States for one price? Or is there a different priority mail that includes Alaska and Hawaii in the flat rate?

Edit: Confirmed that Priority Mail does include shipments to Hawaii and Alaska in the "flat rate"
    Last edited by woodturner; 08-06-2010, 06:55 AM. Reason: incorrect information
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I just bought a few things from them.
      I ship to Alaska and Hawaii for the same price. It costs me the same as shipping to California. Just regular Priority mail. I only use the small flat rate box when I can. They are also the same cost to Alaska and Hawaii. $4.85 when paid for online.
      Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by woodturner
        Do you mean the Flat Rate Priority Mail the USPS offers, which, according to their web site, will ship anything that will fit within the box anywhere in the continental United States for one price? Or is there a different priority mail that includes Alaska and Hawaii in the flat rate?
        This page only says "anywhere in the United States" where are you coming up with the continental part?
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
          This page only says "anywhere in the United States" where are you coming up with the continental part?
          I followed the "plan a shipment" link from the home page. Just looked again, though, and now I can't find the "continental" in there, so I'm not sure if I misread it or it there is a typo on one of the pages.
          --------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• steve-norrell
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • BT3100-1

Folks,

US Priority Mail works for all states, including Alaska and Hawaii. I send and receive lots of mail via Priority Mail. The cost is the same regardless of the state you are mailing to or from. It is, by far, the best way to send stuff to and from Alaska and Hawaii.

The "continental" only restriction is from Woodpeck. The statement comes up when you enter your ZIP code and try to apply the discount code during the order completion steps. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

The use of "Anywhere in the United States" by mail order houses seems to be either a tried and try tactic or confirmation of the notion that many of our citizens are geographically or politically challenged in that they don't (or refuse to) recognize that Alaska and Hawaii are states.

PS: Forgot to add that I sent a copy of my original rant to the Woodpeck email address.

Cheers and regards, Steve
            Last edited by steve-norrell; 08-05-2010, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• sweensdv
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • WI
              • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

The email that I received from Woodpeckers about this offer did have the "Continental USA" disclaimer at the very bottom of the email.

Comment

• steve-norrell
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by sweensdv
                The email that I received from Woodpeckers about this offer did have the "Continental USA" disclaimer at the very bottom of the email.
                Yep, its there! Its at the very bottom, after the ads (ten with pictures) and no asterisk or any other indication that there are conditions. Woodcraft's recent offer uses the asterisk to call your attention to the "contiguous-only" disclaimer.

Comment

• LarryG
                  The Full Monte
                  • May 2004
                  • Off The Back
                  • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by steve-norrell
                  The use of "Anywhere in the United States" by mail order houses seems to be either a tried and try tactic or confirmation of the notion that many of our citizens are geographically or politically challenged in that they don't (or refuse to) recognize that Alaska and Hawaii are states.
                  My parents live in Wasilla, and this is one of my dad's pet peeves -- and justifiably so. He runs into this silly policy all the time when he's trying to order something.
                  Larry

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I'd try caling them, and see if their customer service has any common sense.

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                      I agree. I haven't done business with them in a couple of years (not their fault), but when I have dealt with their customer service they were great. I'd give them a call and see what they can do.
                      Bill

Comment

• steve-norrell
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2006
                        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by BigguyZ
                        I have contacted them, though not by phone. I sent them a copy of my "rant" and, this morning, to their credit, I received the following note back:

Steve,
                        Although I don't live in Alaska, I do understand your frustration. Same on this end.

We'd love to sell more product but can't afford to do so at a loss. As a general rule we charge shipping rather than increasing prices and burying the cost in the "Sale" price. Either way, shipping is never free for either party. It's only a matter of how obvious it's recovery is.

When we do these free shipping offers, we're absorbing the cost which if done on a routine basis, would drive us out of business and cost
                        jobs. By the way we keep all our production in house, in the U.S.A. and outsource nothing overseas. So our production costs are higher than most of our competitors and leaves us less room to recover shipping charges.

We'll take a look at shipping alternatives for your state. Was there a particular item you were interested in? Maybe it would fit in a flat rate box. Smaller items certainly would.

Richard Hummel
                        Woodpeckers Inc
                        richardhummel@woodpeck.com

Optimism reigns supreme and perhaps they will be more accommodating without harming their bottom line too much. In exchange, we will continue to send our oil, and soon, hopefully, our natural gas south.

Regards, Steve

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

You can't expect more than that. he took the time to offer an entirely reasonable explanation and seems willing to do whatever is reasonable.

JR
                          JR

Comment

• os1kne
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Atlanta, GA
                            • BT3100

Their prices are the only thing that has prevented me from doing more business with them. The quality of the products that I've bought from them has been outstanding. Knowing that they are made in the USA and have higher operating costs helps explain why their prices are higher.
                            Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've talked to Kathy Hummel (Mrs. Richard Hummel) several times at the Woodworking shows and she's a hoot. She told me her husband used to work for Wang computers (anyone remember them from the 70's?) before he ended up with starting woodpeckers. Told me other stories about how she put the white ink in the engravings. A real family business.

Sounds like a lot of fun designing the stuff and then getting to shop test it. Maybe not so fun when its a job...

Anyway their stuff is always topnotch... not cheap so maybe the shipping is just nitpicking. Maybe write Richard or Kathy and take them up on working out a deal on shipping to Alaska.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-06-2010, 07:18 PM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...