• Show
Clear All
  • Bruce Cohen
    Veteran Member
    • May 2003
    • Nanuet, NY, USA.
    • BT3100

And now for a really stupid question

After reading about the great deal? on the Hitachi bench sander, I "just" had to pull the trigger and get one, but please don't tell the wife. Didn't do as good as some of you, I paid $90.00. Still a good deal, as I was going to buy the PC at $189.00.

Now for the dumb question:
    Never using PSA discs, only hook and loop, can you reuse a removed PSA disc? I change grits often and after seeing the price of 8" discs, I'd hate to trash a hardly used one.

What does one do???

Bruce
    "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
    Samuel Colt did"
  • sweensdv
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • WI
    • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Yes and no, mostly no on reusing the discs. If you want to constantly clean the metal disc you could use a spray adhesive and re-glue the discs. You also have to be very careful not to destroy the disc when removing it as the factory applied glue is so strong it often makes removal quite a chore. It depends on what your planned usages for the sander are of course but what works best for me is to just keep both a 120 grit belt and disc on mine. If I really need to hog off a bunch of material I use my hand held belt sander and for finer sanding I use my ROS.
    Last edited by sweensdv; 07-06-2010, 09:14 AM.

Comment

• cabinetman
      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
      Now for the dumb question:
      Never using PSA discs, only hook and loop, can you reuse a removed PSA disc? I change grits often and after seeing the price of 8" discs, I'd hate to trash a hardly used one.

What does one do???

Bruce

Some discs can be pulled off and re-attached without problem. If the disc fails to stick, you can use an adhesive spray that works easily. It allows the disc to be reused.
      http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,110,42965

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

you can try to reuse a disk as is and then you will be surprised when it comes flying off, Some thicker disks can really hurt, DAMHIKT.

To really reuse a disk as noted by other posters you can clean the disk sander wheel surface and then spray adhesive on the sanding disk and then it will work.

I's say buy another sander and keep two grits available at all times will be much better (if you don't count costs and space). I mostly try and keep one grit on for everything - usually 80 to 100
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-06-2010, 04:49 PM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

I saw a tip in one of the mags a couple years ago from a guy who put a ring of coarser sandpaper on the outside of the disk, and a disk of finer paper closer to the center. I've no idea how you would cut an accurate ring/center, how long it would take or how well it works.

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• eezlock
            • Feb 2006
            • Charlotte,N.C.
            • BT3100

and now for a really stupid question

Not a stupid question in my opinion, as these discs are subject to flying off
            the machine at the worst time.

I would like to see a disc sanding machine in 8". 10" or 12" with an easily removable disc assembly. Something that could be quickly removed from the machine with a hub on the back and a set screw similar to what Shopsmith
            uses to change from disc sanding to sawing operation. I'm not promoting their
            tools here....just making a suggestion. If this type thing were available for
            a particular brand of machine, the operator could have several discs
            on hand to use, and each one with a different grit sandpaper on each.

Just something to think about..........

Comment

• os1kne
              • Jan 2003
              • Atlanta, GA
              • BT3100

I recall seeing a replacement platten that would convert a sander from PSA to H&L. I don't know about your particular sander. Good luck!
              Bill

Comment

• Tom Slick
                Veteran Member
                • May 2005
                • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                • sears BT3 clone

I've never really found the need to change grits on a disc sander. It's usually used for shaping, with final sanding done elsewhere. Also, finer grits tend to burn the work and clog the disc.
                Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...