• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Air compressor pressure switch replacement

My little Husky pancake compressor bought the farm a couple of days ago. I think I've got the problem narrowed down to the pressure switch. I can find a generic adjustable switch for around $20, plus shipping.

What do you all think? Switch the switch, or move up to a Campbell-Hausfield "hot dog" oiled compressor? Budget's a bit tight right now.

I do have a much larger C-H compressor I inherited from my father, but I need to install 220 in my shop before I can use it. Currently my shop gets all its power from a 10-ga extension cord, so I have to count the amps pretty carefully.

One other compressor question, just out of curiosity: What's the advantage of twin tanks over a larger single tank? Looks like the two tanks are connected without any sort of valve between them, so what's the point?

Thanks again,

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

About the switch, you may have to have a pressure relief valve on it.

Twin tanks allow a more compact design.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Why buy a new compressor if replacing a switch will fix the old one? You're not one of those people that buys a new car every time the ash tray gets full are ya?

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

i dont think there's any magic to two tanks, performance-wise. Same volume as the sum of the tanks, as long as the connecting pipe between them allows full airflow as the compressor is supposed to provide.

Probably cheaper to make two small cylinders than one large cylindrical or spherical tank and more compact, too.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

The only advantage to twin tanks is strickly the design advantage of putting a wheel in between the tanks, for wheelbarrow-like portability. Disadvantage is that you've then got to concern yourself with draining the condensate from both tanks.

When buying your replacement pressure switch, make sure you get the pressure relief valve with it (that's the valve that act to "unload" the line and cylinder pressure when the pressure switch signals the unit to shutoff).

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• RAV2
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Massachusetts

Why not look for the proper part from the manufacturer and replace the exact item?

Comment

• 4estgump
              Established Member
              • Nov 2006
              • Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
              • Ryobi BT3000

E-Bay best bet. Hope this helps.
              4est

Comment

• August86
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2009
                • near Athens, GA

Except for the operating switch, the pressure switches for portable air compressors all Run at the same range. The big box building by supply stores sometimes hare them. The St. Louis Sears stores may have them. There should be someone around you who works on air-tools and they should hare them. If your go local you can take yours off and make sure it will install 0K.

As to tanks, a CFM is a CFM. The pancakes are generally smaller and depending on which other tank you look at, the compressor should push more air.

Mike D.

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Originally posted by gsmittle
                  My little Husky pancake compressor bought the farm a couple of days ago. I think I've got the problem narrowed down to the pressure switch. I can find a generic adjustable switch for around $20, plus shipping.

g.

Have you tried activating the manual reset button (if you have one). It's for thermal overload. The compressor will not start until reset.

The pressure relief switch is a switch that senses the tank pressure. When the tank reaches a preset pressure it electrically shuts off the motor. They are fairly universal if the fittings are correct and can be adjusted.

The safety relief valve/unloader (may have a pull ring) called a load genie unloads the pressure in the head, so there will be an easier start on the next cycle. Not adjustable.

Multiple tanks only carry the equalized capacity of air. Adding a tank to increase that has a defeating effect. Once the capacity of the lesser amount (before adding) has been reached, the compressor has to run to both fill the greater capacity, and still support the tool. It will likely run longer and hotter than normal, and create more condensation in the tank and produce hotter air to the output line.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by August86
                    Except for the operating switch, the pressure switches for portable air compressors all Run at the same range.

You have to be careful with this... there is some variation with portable air compressors. I've seen them as low as 100 PSI and I have a Craftsman that is rated at 125 psi. P-C's (and others) are often rated at 150 psi, and I imagine there are some that may be higher.

I would NOT suggest that pressure switches are readily interchangeable when the ratings can run as much as 50 psi difference.

An ANSI tank/receiver is stamped with the MAWP (Maximum Allowable Working Pressure), but many tanks these days have only the SA international grade and may not be MAWP rated. The wrong pressure switch/setting may well put the compressor and/or the tank at a higher pressure than it was originally rated at. If the safety valve is also "upgraded" you may be putting yourself and others in jeopardy.

CWS
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...