• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Do I Need A #3?

I realize this might be asking a chocoholic if he wants another candy bar.

The planes I currently have are a Bailey #4, a Millers Falls copy, a Millers Falls #14 (=#5) and a no-name block plane with a busted iron. Today I picked up a #7 that we think is pre-1900 and a 60.5 to replace the no-name. He had a #3 for 25 bucks, in pretty good shape. Are there going to be times I wish I had a slightly smaller plane than the #4?
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Not too sure about your usage, but I really like my Stanley/Bailey #3. I'll use it quite often to do a final smoothing on boards. It's light and easy to work with on shorter cutoffs too.
    Erik

Comment

• Larryl
      Established Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Lorena, TX, USA.
      • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

I have the Stanley/Bailey #4 and when I need smaller I go to the low-angle block plane or 6 1/2" infill kit plane. But for $25 if it is in good shape I believe I would I would have to have it in my tool box. BTY, please post pictures of the new Snickers Bar if you get it.

P.S. I think the reason Stanley numbered their planes is so we could easily remember which planes we still need.......
      Last edited by Larryl; 05-19-2010, 03:16 PM. Reason: New thought.
      I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• BrazosJake
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2003
        • Benbrook, TX.
        • Emerson-built Craftsman

Wrong question: do you want a #3???

Better yet: build your own Krenov-style smoother with the Hock iron/chipbreaker set. Those Bailey's will get a vacation:-)

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Yes I want a #3 and I've more or less decided to get it. I also thought about getting rid of the Millers Falls #4 knock-off but decided I would fettle it and use it for the rougher stuff like planing 2x stock, etc.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

This question is sort of like asking "Do I need more clamps?". Just go ahead and get it...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hoover
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2003
              • USA.

I recently picked up a #3 Wards Master plane. It is a WW2 era model built by Stanley. It is a good size and is nicely balanced. Go for it.
              No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Do you NEED it? no.

Are you going to buy it? Probably!
                Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                Fools because they have to say something.
                Plato

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

David - Note that the Bailey and Record number 3s can be a little tight for large hands, so make sure it's comfortable for you. There's a little more room on the tote of the Miller Falls equivalent (#8).

Even though a #3 and a #4 are similar enough to cover many of the same things, it's convenient to set one for very light shavings, almost like a scraper.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...