• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris_B
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Cupertino, CA

Mount Kreg fence "backwards"?

My Rikon 10-325 arrives tomorrow afternoon. w00t!

In addition to some new blades (thank you all for the input!), I am installing the Kreg fence.

The local Woodcraft displays this fence mounted with stand-off's on the Rikon 10-325 to simplify blade removal without having to slice a slot in the Kreg rail. This was my original plan. However, I am beginning to wonder if there is any significant downside to simply mounting the fence rail on the rear of the table. This would obviously leave the front edge wide-open (except for the table 'strap') for easiest-possible blade changes. Being lazy, this is quite appealing!

Although unorthodox, a "backwards" fence should work just fine with the rail on the rear; access for adjustment should be just as easy from the rear (/right) as the front (/left) any time the saw is in use. Other than convention, I can't see any compelling reason for mounting the fence on the front side of the table...

What am I missing? IOW, is this crazy?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would think if you were using the Kreg microadjuster, which i use quite a bit, then it would be a pain to adjust because it would be way back around the back.

But i guess it can't hurt much to try it...
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• sweensdv
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • WI
      • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

If you haven't purchased the fence yet you might want to wait and try out the stock fence that comes with the saw first. I have had this BS for a couple of years now and quite frankly, up to this point anyways, I've not seen the need to upgrade to an aftermarket fence.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have to lean with Dave on waiting. The stock fence on my 18" BS is sufficient for re-saw. I simply drilled a couple of holes and use sacrificial fence faces of phenolic in two heights.. 4".. 8".. A spring-board (feather-board) right of blade ith a 4" face and I get perfect re-saws. Before I got that BS I used a home-made fence held on with Quik-clamps on my 14" with great success also.

As far as if you already have the Kreg.. I agree with you that reversing would pose no problem as long as the rear of the Kreg doesn't move during a cut.

Good luck...

Comment

• Chris_B
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Cupertino, CA

Well, I already have the fence. I might put the stock fence on the front and the Kreg on the rear and have a fenc(ing) competition.

As it happens, I was browsing the Kreg fence at Amazon last week, and it subsequently arrives in my Gold Box; I order the fence with the extra discount. Now although I'd been browsing (/drooling) the Rikon for months with no Gold Box joy, the day after ordering the fence the 10-325 pops-up in my Gold Box! So actually I think the fence really only cost about $60. At least, that is what I keep telling myself.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I would think if you were using the Kreg microadjuster, which i use quite a bit, then it would be a pain to adjust because it would be way back around the back.
          I don't get this, but maybe I am just thick. Any time the saw is in use, both the front and the back of the table need to be clear & accessible. I use the Craftsman micro-adjuster on the BT3100 regularly, and the Kreg micro-adjuster is one of the reasons that I got the bandsaw fence. If the rear mount is just going to be a PITA, then I'd like to avoid unnecessarily drilling and tapping extra mounting holes.

Comment

• garymuto
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Encinitas, CA
            • Delta Cabinet Saw

I have the 10-325 and I looked at the kreg fence too. I decided that the Rikon fence had less deflection so I didn't pursue any additional fence. I propose that you give the Rikon a try with the stock fence.

Comment

Working...