• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

Harbor Freight framing nailer

I have a couple of projects planned for the summer that would go much faster/easier with a framing nailer. However, after these projects I would likely only use the framing nailer occasionally - so, I don't need top of the line. I've been looking at some of Harbor Freight's framing nailers and am looking for some recommendations. I'm sort of leaning towards the 6-in-1 framing nailer, but if this model stinks I'd certainly go with something else. If you have a HF framing nailer, what model is it and what do you think about it?

Thanks.
    Bill
  • John Hunter
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Lake Station, IN, USA.
    • BT3000 & BT3100

I have a HF one, picked it up a few years ago when I was building a storage shed. It is heavy but works fine. I don't know about the 6 in 1 as mine is an older model.
    John Hunter

Comment

• Hawk
      Handtools only
      • Mar 2010

I have had the 6 in one for a few years. Used it when I was doing remodels and now use it for personal use. It is also a little on the heavy side and I just keep it at one angle setting now. I have yet to have a single jam or any other problem. I think if you need a variety of sizes it is well priced and worth having. I also have and like some of the different finish nailers.

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I don't have a HF framing nailer, just a couple staplers. If I was going to buy a HF framing nailers, I would get a single function one. Mine work fine but are not as precisely made as my PC and Bostich nailers. Multi-function nailers also have to compromise fit-up and I am concerned that the combination of the relative imprecision of HF nailers + the necessary compromises in a multi-function nailer would result in headaches. I may have mis-understood the 6 in 1 reference, however.

While not quite as efficient, I would probably go with a full head framer. The clipped head ones seem to be OK but the nails are not quite as strong. For what I would use it for, putting more nails in a little more often doesn't seem like it would be a big deal.

Jim

Comment

• unknown poster
          Established Member
          • Jan 2006

I have the 31 degree blue framing nailer. I've only driven a few hundred nails with it but I have no complaints. Some areas do not allow cliped head nails for things like sheathing. You should find out what your local regulations are before you purchase a nailer.

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
            I don't have a HF framing nailer, just a couple staplers. If I was going to buy a HF framing nailers, I would get a single function one. Mine work fine but are not as precisely made as my PC and Bostich nailers. Multi-function nailers also have to compromise fit-up and I am concerned that the combination of the relative imprecision of HF nailers + the necessary compromises in a multi-function nailer would result in headaches. I may have mis-understood the 6 in 1 reference, however.

While not quite as efficient, I would probably go with a full head framer. The clipped head ones seem to be OK but the nails are not quite as strong. For what I would use it for, putting more nails in a little more often doesn't seem like it would be a big deal.

Jim
            Thanks, I was concerned about the multi-capability. Most things that offer multiple capabilities tend not to be good at any of them. I was planning on full-head. Part of my reason for the 6 in 1 is that my father-in-law has a Paslode and will be helping me on one of my projects and I wanted to just buy 1 type of nail. In retrospect, this probably isn't a good reason in the long run.
            Bill

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

I've got the 98917 28 degree single function framing nailer. Only had it for about 2 months now. I have been using it to do silly things like put nails in the roof framing of my house that the contractor didn't, and the inspector kind of didn't notice (extreme obscenity uttered aimed at BOTH the builder, AND the inspector that I should be suing)...

Anyway, I have run the better part of half a box of nails through it, without a hiccup. I don't expect any issues with this one.

I tried the brad nailer / stapler combo and didn't like it. I am not crazy about the multi function nailer designs. I'm sure they work fine, but I am worried they will jam easily...

HF offers several different framing nailer designs. If you want common nails with your FILs Paslode, chances are good they will have something to shoot it... Look at the specs on the Paslode nail box, and then find the HF gun to shoot them... Heck I have a box of HF nails, and a box of Paslode nails for my gun. They both shoot fine.

So far I have 4 HF nailers, and of them I have 1 with a problem, and that is the 66872. The roll / wrist pin that holds the driver to the piston is MISSING. I am trying to find the receipt to get it swapped around. This one is also the one HF nailer I don't use much. The pinner, the framing nailer, and the stapler get used a LOT...
              Last edited by dbhost; 04-23-2010, 10:38 AM.
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• terryc29
                Forum Newbie
                • May 2008
                • Bandera, Texas

Originally posted by os1kne
                I have a couple of projects planned for the summer that would go much faster/easier with a framing nailer. However, after these projects I would likely only use the framing nailer occasionally - so, I don't need top of the line. I've been looking at some of Harbor Freight's framing nailers and am looking for some recommendations. I'm sort of leaning towards the 6-in-1 framing nailer, but if this model stinks I'd certainly go with something else. If you have a HF framing nailer, what model is it and what do you think about it?

Thanks.
                I have the 28deg framing nailer and have put about 9,000 nails throught it so far and it has performed well. 8 sheds later and it is going strong. If it broke tomorrow, I would buy another HF framing nailer without even thinking about it.
                ....and keep the sawdust outside.
                My Wife

Comment

• tjr
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2008
                  • at the falls of the Ohio
                  • BT3000 (1 3/4 of them)

I have HF's 21degree nailer. Only trouble I've had is the depth setting bolt stripped its allen socket; I've just used a pliers to tighten it while trying to remember to pick up a new bolt on a visit to the hardware. I wanted to be able to use full-head nails so that's why I picked the 21degree.

Comment

• Burg53
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Nov 2003
                    • Hillsdale, NJ, USA.

I have a Milwaukee nailer for my own use but I build sets for the shows at the local high school and for that I got the HF 21 degree nailer (#98733 I think). I've had it about a year now and have had no trouble with it at all. I don't know about any other models but my experience with this one has been all positive.

Comment

• bthorne
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Ruckersville, VA
                      • Craftsman 21829

I have the 21 degree as well. It's gone through a couple boxes of a thousand nails with no problems.
                      --
                      Bryan

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Another 21 deg blue HF framing nailer owner. Has worked well, heavy, but no issues.
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• Chris S
                          Forum Newbie
                          • May 2009

I have a 6 in 1 also. I've had thousands of nails through it without the first jam.

Comment

• os1kne
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Atlanta, GA
                            • BT3100

I appreciate all of the replies. It looks like I almost can't go wrong. I have a few other HF pneumatic nailers / staplers and overall I've been very pleased. They don't have some of the high-end features that the big-name nailers have, but they work well and they cost considerably less than the big-name nailers.
                            Bill

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

Bill,
                              In addition to the 21deg framer, I own the HF 16g, 18g (2in), 18g stapler/brad combo, and 23g pin nailers. Of the lot, only the stapler/brad combo was defective (hairline crack in piston), and I exchanged for a new one no questions asked - hard to beat the price and the return policy for acceptable quality - and you're still below major brand pricing if you wear out the first and have to buy a second (good luck trying).
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...