• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Drill Press

I have a 10 X 12 Shop in the back yard. Due to my age and changing interest in woodworking I am in the process of remodeling my shop. I have the famous HF 14" Bandsaw and the HF 13" bench top Drill Press. They are both good machines and served me well. The are both on mobil bases but take up too much room. I have decided to replace them with true bench top machines. I am ordering a Rikon 10" Band Saw model 10-305 for $199+35 shipping from Highland Woodworking in GA, ($279+tax at Woodcraft).

The drill press is another story. My local Rockler outlet, part of a large store has a Jet DP12 for $299 +tax, haven't seen any good reviews. and a Ryobi DP121L at my local Borg.
    Lowes has nothing decent in stock as does Woodcraft. Didn't even try Sears, but may. Ordering these on line gets expensive because of the weight penalty for shipping, so would like to buy local if possible.

Any one have any recent experience with the Jet DP12 or the Ryobi 121L. I did search on the Ryobi and there is a thread from a few years ago.

The HF machines are going to my BIL for "stroage" in his woodworking shop a few miles away for now. He will get much more use of them than I.

Thanks

Tom
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

For what it's worth, the 121L appears to have a very good reputation, and I was on my way to Home Depot to buy one when I got my floor model DP.... In a LOT of ways, I wish I had the bench top version instead. I never get anywhere near using beyond the capacity of a bench top unit. I don't see a good reason to have a floor model aside from the fact it was cheaper for me at the time...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

DB

Thanks for your opinion. Looks like I can get the DP 121L for $169 so will try it and If I don't like will return it. The HF DP I have now is suppose to be a Bench Top but it is so big that if I put it on a normal heigth bench I would need a stool to stand on. I is a shorter version of the free standing one the sell.

Comment

• os1kne
        • Jan 2003
        • Atlanta, GA
        • BT3100

I've had a Ryobi DP120 for ~7 years and I've been happy with it. I believe that the 121L adds laser crosshairs and variable speed (w/o changing pulleys). Good luck.
        Bill

Comment

Working...