• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Freud saw blades?

Does anyone know what the difference is between Freud's Diablo line and their Industrial line of blades? I see some that look nearly identical from each line, right down to the drilled holes through the plate which I can only assume are to balance the plate or from machining processes.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

this thread may help.
    Knotscott to the rescue as usual.

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ht=freud+blade
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Thanks for saving me some typing Loring!

It's been a few years since that thread. Freud's website is a lot better than it used to be. In a nutshell, there's definitely some similarities between the Diablo and Industrial line. The Diablo line is strictly thin kerf choices, and is much more limited than the Industrial. The industrial blades usually have more carbide for more sharpenings. Blades like the LU86R010 and the Diablo D1040 have similar geometry, but the carbide on the LU86 is larger.

Be aware that Freud has discontinued the Avanti line as of June 2009. It's now being sold at HD, has been severely compromised as cheap Chinese made knockoffs...to be avoided for sure. Some NOS may still be around, but check for the Freud name to be certain.

Last edited by Knottscott; 04-20-2010, 08:01 AM.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

After reading that thread the whole concept is about as clear as 3 day old ship's coffee!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• chopnhack
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • Florida
          • Ryobi BT3100

Excellent as always gentleman, thank you. I don't know what resharpen would run with shipping and all, so for me I do believe the better alternative would be the diablo, at 1/2 the price of the industrial line and just buy a new blade when needed.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
            Excellent as always gentleman, thank you. I don't know what resharpen would run with shipping and all, so for me I do believe the better alternative would be the diablo, at 1/2 the price of the industrial line and just buy a new blade when needed.
            here i think the local guys quote $0.30 or 0.33 a tooth, maybe that'll give you an estimate.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• chopnhack
              Veteran Member
              • Oct 2006
              • Florida
              • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks Loring. What has been your experience with resharpening blades? Have they come back as good as new? Do they check to make sure the plate is still in good condition? I noticed that on the blades they mention a c-4 grade of carbide, is that something that is serviceable at most facilities that resharpen? What about tooth geometry?
              Thanks for the info.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
                Thanks Loring. What has been your experience with resharpening blades? Have they come back as good as new? Do they check to make sure the plate is still in good condition? I noticed that on the blades they mention a c-4 grade of carbide, is that something that is serviceable at most facilities that resharpen? What about tooth geometry?
                Thanks for the info.
                I'm pretty sure the good sharpeners have an indexing table to sharpen each tooth advancing at the angle between teeth (i.e. 9 degrees advance between reach tooth on a 40T blade; thats 360/40). Reproducing the original hook angle and top bevel then depends on how correctly they place the abrasive w/ relation to the blade/table. I'm sure they have diamond abrasives that can handle any of the standard C2, C3, or C4 carbides used for WW.

well funny you should ask, I've had a couple of blades sharpened. When i did so I replaced it with a new one and so far I have not yet put the sharpened blades back on. So I can't really answer that one well.
                But I expect they should be good. You might try Forrest's resharpening service. If one of the secrets to their blades is great sharpening, then sharpening another quality brand saw blade should give excellent performance.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-25-2010, 09:11 AM.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Interesting point Loring, thanks again.
                  According to Forrest's web site a 36 tooth blade would cost $20.50 to resharpen and $9 s/h plus whatever it would cost for you to mail it to them, making it a simple choice in this case for me to buy new.
                  Last edited by chopnhack; 04-25-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Working...