This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SARGE..g-47

Originally posted by lago
    I am in the process of restoring a 1970 8" jointer that has a 3-phase 220v motor. Right now, I am assuming that it will work even though it has been sitting in a barn for the past 10 years or so.

My options are:
    1) Get a variable frequency drive to convert 220v single phase to 3 phase.
    2) Get a new motor 220v single phase or 110v.

If I go with the VFD or a single phase 220v motor, I still have to install a 220v circuit.

If I go with a 110v motor, no problem.

Motor in question is a 1 1/2HP @ 3450RPM.

Is there any advantage to a 220v vs 110v in a home shop situation?

Right now, I am leaning toward getting a 110v motor and selling the one that came with the jointer.

Your opinions?

Ken
    IMO.. the advantage of going to and adding a 220 V line would be that in the future you decide to up-grade to larger 2 HP - 5 HP machines (BS.. TS.. planer.. etc) you already have the line run and won't have to add latter. I have both 3 HP and 5 HP there-fore machines that require both a 20 A and 30 A receptacle.

I ran a 10 G line with a 30 A breaker at the box to a 30 A receptacle for my 5 HP machines.. then dropped out of that receptacle with 10 G wire 1' below and added a 20 A single breaker. The dropped another 12"below and added a 20 A receptacle. That way I am not running any smaller than 20 A machines on a 30 A breaker that could allow an over-heat on the larger line and breaker.

For that matter when I run say a 5 HP TS which draws around 18 A's respectively.. I cannot run my 3 HP cyclone which draws around 14 A's at the same time. When I added the cyclone I had to add an additional 220 V line with 20 A breaker. But... I used 10 G just in case I needed an additional 30 A- 20 A combo on that line.

You are fine with that motor at 110 V as has been stated several times and.. if you clearly know you will never up-grade machines to higher HP you have no need for 220 V. The question in my mind would be... do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you will never up-grade? As far as variance in the cost... if you can afford to purchase wood at the going prices.. you won't notice the difference in the power bill IMO!

Good luck...

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by SARGE..g-47
      ...You are fine with that motor at 110 V as has been stated several times and.. if you clearly know you will never up-grade machines to higher HP you have no need for 220 V. The question in my mind would be... do you know beyond a shadow of a doubt you will never up-grade? As far as variance in the cost... if you can afford to purchase wood at the going prices.. you won't notice the difference in the power bill IMO!

Good luck...
      If you know you are going to get a machine requiring 220V (say 80 percent sure) then thats a good plan. Betting up front on machines you may or may not ever get (lets say 50/50) is probably not as good a bet as paying for it when it happens.... UNLESS the cost of doing it now would be far less than the cost of doing it later. For example - putting in a 220V line when you are building the shop and already running other lines, or just before you finish off the sheetrock on the garage and won't be able to run the wiring later w/o tearing out sheetrock. or your BIL is an electrician but you know in your heart they're headed for a divorce eventually...
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-11-2010, 10:45 AM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...