• Show
Clear All
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

Nice circular saw innovation.

This saw has quite a few nice features on it.
    I don't know anything about Panasonic as a tool and don't want a metal cutter in a cordless type.
    Just noticed this one while researching.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I like the height gauge on the guard. The blade brake and the battery minder. LED is a nice touch as is the dust or chip catcher.

Right now for ferrous metals, I either use a Bosch jigsaw or a metal cutting bandsaw. Looks like one of these metal cutters would make it a lot faster to cut much of the stuff I need.

Anyone have any experience yet with a metal cutting circular saw?
    Lee
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

that gives me the willy's the way he is holding a metal object (rod, tube, U-channel all demoed) in his left hand and cutting full depth and unsupported in free air holding the saw with his right hand. Is this recommended? Looks real dangerous to me.

Would any of you do that?
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      Not unless I was tired of having fingers...

Comment

• Stytooner
        Roll Tide RIP Lee
        • Dec 2002
        • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
        • BT3100

Yeah, but it's got blade stop technology.
        Once you saw through the first finger, you will release the trigger and only put a knick in the second one.

No way am I condoning the video usage, just the tools design overall.
        Lee

Comment

• Tom Slick
          Veteran Member
          • May 2005
          • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
          • sears BT3 clone

It doesn't look real dangerous to me. On a jobsite, wood is cut that way all the time and it is more likely to bind up than steel.
          Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
            The Full Monte
            • Dec 2002
            • San Marcos, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 (x2)

I am going to have to check into the blade they used for metal. Abrasive blades use up quickly and get expensive.
            Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
            Fools because they have to say something.
            Plato

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I did a little more research on these blades, Pappy.
              Everything points to expensive. Freud has some of these and the line is called Demon. Granted most reviews were likely from guys that used these on standard circular saws and they may have been turning a little faster than recommended.

Here are the technical specs on a DIY version circular saw.

3500 RPM.

Here is a link to a Milwaukee at Amazon.

5800 RPM.

I was also looking on that Evolution site and they stated that they get 30' of cuts through 1/8" mild steel per blade.

I get likely 40' of cuts in the same from a $10 pack of Bosch jigsaw blades. Compared to $35 to $50 per circular saw blade, I'll just stick with what I am using.
              Lee

Comment

• unknown poster
                Established Member
                • Jan 2006

When I was in welding school one of my fellow students bought an Evolution saw. I was an interesting concept, but not very efficient. Most metalwork doesn't lend itself to the circular saw the way carpentry does.

For structural steel I prefer a horizontal bandsaw. They set up quick and basically operate themselves.

For sheet goods I prefer a sheer. It is quick, straight, accurate, and easy. Compare the cost of an evolution blade to having a shop sheer your stock. Around here they are comperable.

Comment

• phi1l
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Madison, WI

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                  that gives me the willy's the way he is holding a metal object (rod, tube, U-channel all demoed) in his left hand and cutting full depth and unsupported in free air holding the saw with his right hand. Is this recommended? Looks real dangerous to me.

Actually, I have done that with lath sized pieces of wood on my little 12V 4" circular saw, but it is lighter & probably less powerful than this one, & I wasn't particular about the precision of the cut, either. It probably has a "special" metal blade that won't kick back....

Comment

• Tom Slick
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2005
                    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                    • sears BT3 clone

Originally posted by Pappy
                    I am going to have to check into the blade they used for metal. Abrasive blades use up quickly and get expensive.
                    Those types of blades/saws are called "cold saw" because they don't generate heat while cutting.

The blades are pretty expensive
                    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

14" cold saws are common, here are a couple of blades.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...