X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roy

BT3000 Stripped arbor threads

Hello,

I am in line to pick up a moderately used BT3000 for $75 locally. The owner says that the arbor itself and the arbor nut is stripped. Looking at the ryobi web page it says a new arbor is around $11.00. Is it relatively an easy fix and a pop-in replacement? And is that really the going price for a new arbor? If that is all that is wrong with it, is this a good deal? Thank in advance.
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

I'd have to say that if the arbor is stripped there could be many more issues with the saw. I'd be hesitant to spen $75 for a saw with that problem. I can only guess on the cost and availability of an arbor but yes it is a simple drop in replacement, well maybe not simple and maybe not drop right in but a direct replacement without the need for fitting. I've not done so so I'm also guessing here but I'm thinking you'll at least need gear puller(s) and a press for reassembly.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

the arbor is probably not that easy to replace.
      Besides, i wouldn't buy a saw from someone who stripped the arbor - indicates a hamfisted owner...
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        the arbor is probably not that easy to replace.
        Besides, i wouldn't buy a saw from someone who stripped the arbor - indicates a hamfisted owner...
        I agree.

Putting in a new arbor is going to require new bearings (in all likelihood) and unless you know that there is nothing else wrong, may be a complete waste of time.

Comment

• crokett
          The Full Monte
          • Jan 2003
          • Mebane, NC, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

If you could get the saw for 25 bucks, it might be worth it. Then you are only risking that much assuming it can't be fixed. A new arbor will require the gear puller and/or a press. A machine shop could do this for you without too much trouble but it will cost 30 or 40 bucks.
          David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• phi1l
            • Oct 2009
            • Madison, WI

Ya, you have to wonder how the arbor threads got stripped in the first place.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

on second thought they could have just been cross threaded.
              If that's the case you could rethread them... but its a left handed thread, the die would be hard for me to find.

I would think the arbor is a lot harder than the nut which is a dull, brittle alloy... the arbor would have survived mostly a cross threading. As I have put forth before, you reallly don't have to crank hard on the arbor nut, just snug. The nut self tightens when rotating the correct way (which is why they used a left-hand thread, so it doesn't loosen.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-03-2010, 02:41 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
                • May 2004

Does the original owner know about that left hand thread deal? It is possible he is trying to put a rh hand nut on and it won't go and he assumes it is cross threaded.
                Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• eezlock
                  • Feb 2006
                  • Charlotte,N.C.
                  • BT3100

BT3000 stripped arbor threads?

I would be a little leary of that saw from the start..... I'm thinking that he is
                  a type of owner that did not take care of the saw and read his owner's manual
                  before using it. Why not try and run the saw with no blade and see if there
                  are any issues with it before buying ? If the motor and controls seem ok, then proceed from there to purchase. I would try and find a local machinist who could re-thread that arbor with the proper threads and then install a blade and see
                  how well the saw would cut. You might end up with a decent saw for a small investment...who knows?
                  eezlock

Comment

Working...