• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

PM66 Progress

Reassembly has started. I found a source for a cheap motor cover and ordered a new dust door from Powermatic. It arrived gold, I painted it. I need to finish aligning the main table, then reattach the wings and align them. After that the rails and extension table and that project is complete. It will take some getting used to. The table top is noticeably lower than my BT. I also don't like not having a true riving knife. I looked into adding one, but the way the blade raises/lowers I am not sure it is possible.

David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • Larryl
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Lorena, TX, USA.
    • Grizzly G0478 Hybrid

Saw is looking good, you will probably enjoy it for many years. I know how you feel about the saw height compared to the BT and the lack of a riving knife. Check with Stytooner about a riving knife, he has kits to retrofit some saws with a Sharkguard/riving knife. Unfortunately mine isn't one of them. Once you get some jigs and a panel sled built you will really appreciate the power, smoothness, and precision (once tuned) of an iron saw.
    I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

While I am still enjoying the heck out of my BT, I can appreciate a nice cast iron saw... One thing I did note about several of the cabinet saws I have seen, is that yes, they are notably lower than the BT is... NOT a good thing my book. I really like the height of the BT3x00...

Maybe a torsion box mobile base is in order to give it some height?
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

You're going to love that saw David. I had one for 6 years before my first wive's divorce lawyer thought we should sell it. A Shark Guard.. feather boards and attention to what you are doing should eleviate your concern with the riving knife.

As already stated.. you can add a mobile base to heighten or just put a wooden rabbeted frame under it to get it to where you want. That is the least of your worries as there's a simple fix.

Good luck and enjoy the re-assembly...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

Looks like you are well on the way, it's going to make your other tools seem light weight.

Out of curiosity, what is the table height on the PM66?

Bill

Comment

Working...