• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shep
    • Nov 2008
    • Columbus, OH
    • Hitachi C10FL

Wooden Bandsaw

I know most people have posted articles about this guy in the past, but I thought you would like to check out his newest project; building a wooden bandsaw.

http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/wheels.html
    -Justin

shepardwoodworking.webs.com

...you can thank me later.
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Good for him! That is an undertaking, but if successful, he will be able to have quite a setup for a very minimal investment. I am curious on how he expects to build the post? The tensioning of the blade puts so much stress on the post (AFAIK, not owning one myself yet) that I would believe him to be hard pressed not to buy some steel column.
    Last edited by chopnhack; 03-22-2010, 08:29 PM.
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Shep
      • Nov 2008
      • Columbus, OH
      • Hitachi C10FL

Knowing him, He'll probably make it out of wood. But who knows, I'm sure he'll engineer it to be strong.
      -Justin

Comment

• cgallery
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Milwaukee, WI
        • BT3K

Is wheel construction intrigues me.

I wonder why he didn't just laminate two pieces of plywood together.

The method he used seems to add quite a bit of complexity, and with it a greater chance of balance problems. Not sure what it buys him.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by chopnhack
          Good for him! That is an undertaking, but if successful, he will be able to gave quite a setup for a very minimal investment. I am curious on how he expects to build the post? The tensioning of the blade puts so much stress on the post (AFAIK, not owning one myself yet) that I would believe him to be hard pressed not to buy some steel column.
          There are kit built (Gil-Built) wooden bandsaws that had arms strong enough (or so I presume). I'm sure he could build one fairly stiff to take the load... it might be larger than a cast iron neck though...Additional width, thickness, and angle bracing I don't see as a limiting problem.

Originally posted by cgallery
          Is wheel construction intrigues me.

I wonder why he didn't just laminate two pieces of plywood together.

The method he used seems to add quite a bit of complexity, and with it a greater chance of balance problems. Not sure what it buys him.
          its quite a bit lighter since the overall thickness is less in the center, it also moves the mass concentration to the outside.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-15-2010, 07:27 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            its quite a bit lighter since the overall thickness is less in the center, it also moves the mass concentration to the outside.
            Good point about the mass at the outside being desirable.

I guess it is also possible that two pieces of plywood may result in separating plys when you're trying to stretch the tires on.

Comment

• Shep
              • Nov 2008
              • Columbus, OH
              • Hitachi C10FL

Just wanted to let you guys know that he decided to make his post out of wood like I thought he would. Amazing.

http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/build.html
              -Justin

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I have a Gil Built 12 inch bandsaw. It works OK. The wheels are aluminum with rubber wheels. It uses blades meant for a 12 inch Craftsman. The column is 3/4 plywood with a piece of construction lumber. It flexed enough I added an oversized piece of 2X construction lumber. It still flexs some. But it cuts. I don't use it a lot. If I had a big project, I would probably buy a new saw. I've made 12 kitchen chairs with curved backslats cut on this little saw. 4 of the chairs have two large backslats that are 4 inches tall out of oak. That was a lot for my little saw to cut and the cuts were not very smooth but it did it.

Jim

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

That is really cool. I am kinda suprised that he didn't have the capability to cut keyways? I should think a hacksaw would make quick work of that, the author seems very accomplished.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• PhilofKayDu
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Aug 2009
                    • Northern Indiana
                    • BT3000

Wooden Bandsaw

I have built some tools and jigs in my time. I thought my ideas were clever for what I needed them for. But,OMG, a wooden bandsaw! Very very clever!!!! Phil

Comment

• Jack Bench

Amazing, simply amazing.

Comment

Working...