• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dewi1219
    Established Member
    • Dec 2005
    • Birmingham, AL

Need recommendations for scrollsaw blades

The saw is a Ryobi SC164VS that will accept either plain or pin-end blades. My immediate projects include cutting out letters for door signs for my kids' rooms. Are blades from HD or Lowe's acceptable? I am a tool junkie and have owned scroll saws for several years but am just now getting around to actually using one... Thanks.
  • SARGE..g-47

Google Flying Dutchman scroll saw blades. Not any more expensive than HD or Lowes and he is a wealth of BS knowledge. This is the preferred blades of most serious scrollers from what I found out when I got a DW 735.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

I can't remember some of the other blades I've tried, but when I had my old Dremel scrollsaw up in my architecture studio at the college I liked the Delta blades the best. There weren't a whole lot of others I tried though.

I'd use pined end as often as I could for the ease of use. For small intricate curves on models a spiral plain end was handy.
      Erik

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

+1 on the Flying Dutchman blades. A good place to buy them at.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've made a number of signs from 3/4" material with about 1-1/2" high letters with the Ryobi SC165 scroll saw
          using the Vermont American 30409 blade which are 18.5 tpi and fairly thin (front to back). I think they worked satisfactorily. Readily available at Lowes, HD, Ace. I drill starter holes at all the inside curves. They are pinned and i find the pin very convenient for quickly loading and retensioning to the same point.

I have some flying dutchman blade assortment I got but have not tried many of them yet... guess i should. One thing i would like to have is a better (more smooth ) finish on the cuts although i guess what i get is satisfactory.

I have tried the FD spiral bits once and got the impression that they are easy to break being very thin but they do cut in all 360° directions, best for very fine work in thin materials, not so much 3/4" hardwood.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-09-2010, 11:02 AM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

That makes three, I think!

Here's the link for Mike's Workshop and he sells the "Flying Dutchman" that I believe the previous posts are suggesting:

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm

He has an assortment pack that is quite economical and gives you about a dozen each of his most popular blades.

These are all first quality blades and they don't break nearly as easily at the locally purchased (Home Depot and Lowels) products. By comparison, the Flying Dutchman blades are cheaper too.

These are all pinless blades, I believe, as they are the preferred blades for most veteran scrollers (which I am certainly NOT). However, I have had no problems securely holding them in my Ryobi 18-inch scroll saw.

I hope this helps,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              I have tried the FD spiral bits once and got the impression that they are easy to break being very thin but they do cut in all 360° directions, best for very fine work in thin materials, not so much 3/4" hardwood.
              Agreed, I was mostly using them on less than 1/2" thick basswood on our architectural models. 3/4" hardwood would be slow going.

One neat tool another guy had in our studio was some little sanders that would be put in place of the scrollsaw blades. I think the widest one was 1/4". Those worked fairly well.
              Erik

Comment

Working...